Comparison on C5

Old July 20th 03, 04:56 AM
Michael Wood

Default Comparison on C5

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:10:44 +0800, "Jornada"
wrote:

Hi all.
I'm just wondering what is the difference between a standard C5 astro scope
OTA and that of their spotting scope version? Are they exactly the same? I
deduced that since the spotting scope was used in the day, perhaps the
coating my be less stringent as compared with the old astro versions..
Anyone can calrify on this?
Thanks

Bought my C5 spotter in 1998. It has Starbrite coatings, came with a
45 degree erect image diagonal, and a teeny weeny finder scope. Of
course I use a 90 degree diagonal for astronomy and replaced the
finder with a Telrad and a 6X30. I think the original finder was an
8X20.
Old July 20th 03, 05:59 AM
Jornada

Thanks. Had thought of buying one to supplement my Goto scope. (I was amazed
its 5" size is not any bigger than my 4" ETX105EC)...Will have to think
about it as I just found out the price of the C5 OTA itself is more than a
Nexstar 4 Goto scope....:-(

--
If replying directly, please delete "abc" from e-mail address.
Thanks

Old July 20th 03, 02:50 PM
Phil Wheeler

Michael Wood wrote:

Bought my C5 spotter in 1998. It has Starbrite coatings, came with a
45 degree erect image diagonal, and a teeny weeny finder scope. Of
course I use a 90 degree diagonal for astronomy and replaced the
finder with a Telrad and a 6X30. I think the original finder was an
8X20.

Probably the 5x24 that is on my C5+. I still use it but also have a
Rigel Quikfinder mounted.

Phil

Old July 20th 03, 02:53 PM
Phil Wheeler

Jornada wrote:
Thanks. Had thought of buying one to supplement my Goto scope. (I was amazed
its 5" size is not any bigger than my 4" ETX105EC)...Will have to think
about it as I just found out the price of the C5 OTA itself is more than a
Nexstar 4 Goto scope....:-(

Yeah, the C5s were never inexpensive. In fact when I bought mine I
probably could have gotten a C8 of some sort for the same price. But
I've never regretted the purchase (very transportable and very good
performer).

Phil

Old July 20th 03, 05:39 PM
Jornada

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the tip. I have a tight budget to stick to, so even US$400 is out
of the question.
I'm want the C5 for its aperture-size performance, so would prefer to buy
just the OTA without the mount, hence my intention to go for the spotting
scope version. Looking for something US$300 or below (i.e. OTA with
finder/diagonal) but less mount and eyepiece. I will mount it on my existing
Manfrotto 410 head + 190D tripod. Is that a realistic expectation or should
I give up the idea?
Regards

When replying directly, please delete "abc" from e-mail address.
Thanks

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
Thanks. Had thought of buying one to supplement my Goto scope. (I was

amazed
its 5" size is not any bigger than my 4" ETX105EC)...Will have to think
about it as I just found out the price of the C5 OTA itself is more than

Nexstar 4 Goto scope....:-(

Keep a close eye on Astromart, they are often available and don't seem to

be in
big demand. The G-5 version (small EQ mount) sometimes goes for around

$400.

jon isaacs

Old July 20th 03, 07:52 PM
Stephen Paul

I have a C5 spotter that predates StarBright offerings, and is lacking
corrector coatings as well. Picked it up for under $300 used at a local
camera shop (couldn't resist). Even without StarBright, this scope is quite
capable. Certainly a _lot_ better than the N4 Mak, which also doesn't have
StarBright.

I happen to also have the Tasco clone of the N4, and there is no question
that the older C5 spotter will outperform it handily, for both light grasp
and resolution. If you are really on a tight budget, don't be afraid to go
for an older C5 in good shape. It's a workable scope.

Old July 21st 03, 06:01 PM
Jornada

Thanks. We don't have shops that you can find second hand scopes here but I
guess I will monitor the normal internet channels and hope a deal comes
along...
cheers