ancient planet found

Old July 11th 03, 05:34 PM
PCportinc

Default ancient planet found

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._psrplanet.htm

thats nice and exciting to hear. However, if there was intelligent
life on it that would've given the aliens 13B years to settle the galaxy,
perhaps even our own solar system. Surely, they would've found a
way to travel at or close to the speed of light. We simply see no
signs of them or their legacy. No probes, no radio transmissions,
no visitations. In fact, if there was any intelligent life in this or in any
other galaxy, 15B years is long enough for perhaps millions of them
to roam the universe and leave signs saying "I wuz here".

Old July 11th 03, 05:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"PCportinc" wrote in message
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._psrplanet.htm

thats nice and exciting to hear. However, if there was intelligent
life on it that would've given the aliens 13B years to settle the galaxy,
perhaps even our own solar system. Surely, they would've found a
way to travel at or close to the speed of light. We simply see no
signs of them or their legacy. No probes, no radio transmissions,
no visitations. In fact, if there was any intelligent life in this or in

any
other galaxy, 15B years is long enough for perhaps millions of them
to roam the universe and leave signs saying "I wuz here".

I have often had the same thought. We should be finding alien beer cans and
cigarette butts all over the place. Then the Devil's Advocate on my shoulder
jumps up and reminds me that we can't compare other civilizations to ours.
For all we know, they have cleaned up there remains, because we can't handle
the truth.

BV.

Old July 11th 03, 06:40 PM
Arth6831

i love it...they estimate it is 13 billion yrs old....which is what "experts"
now claim is the age of the universe.....so it was created in the big bang??? i
think not.....this is more ammunition for us who say fred hoyle was right and
it was formed in a previous cycle or oscillation....art swanson
Old July 11th 03, 07:23 PM
BenignVanilla

"Arth6831" wrote in message
i love it...they estimate it is 13 billion yrs old....which is what

"experts"
now claim is the age of the universe.....so it was created in the big

bang??? i
think not.....this is more ammunition for us who say fred hoyle was right

and
it was formed in a previous cycle or oscillation....art swanson

Arth, as I understand it the 13-15 billion light year age that is often
quoted, is the "age" of our visible sphere of the universe. The Universe
could and probably is much older then this, it's just that our current
capabilities only allow us to see up to that 13-15 billion mark. So if they
did find a planet that is 13-15 billion, it still fits in with current
models.

BV.

Old July 12th 03, 04:37 AM
PCportinc

The problem with us simple earth creatures is that we look at things
in terms of what we currently understand.

if we land on Mars and discover worms it would be very exciting. It was
exciting to find stone age people in Africa and Asia. Why wouldnt aliens
13Billions years more advanced than us be excited about finding a species
possessing space flight, nuclear weapons, radio, and Pam Anderson?

WHY AINT THEY HERE?

Old July 12th 03, 11:09 AM
mumblin-joe

My question is that we see something that is 13-15 billion light years away.
That means it took 13-15 billion light years for the light from that object
to reach our grasp. Who to say there isnt something that is 20-or more
billion light years away whose light has not yet reached our grasp and won't
for another 5 to 7 billion light years or until we are able to gather more
light. We tend to think that our limitations to gather light from the
greatest distances sets the standard for the universes age, but our
limitations have nothing to do with what is reality. In a few years as our
technology increases as does our ability to gather light or infrared imagery
then all of the sudden the age of the universe increases, but the age of the
universe hasn't increased much just our technology has... Does this make
much sense?
just my thoughts and no I'm not stoned! :0)

Old July 12th 03, 01:12 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

It shows what a great telescope the Hubble is I knew it was
good,but to pick out a planet some 12 billion light years away is
amazing. PBS had an astronomer discussing this ancient planet,but I
missed most of what he had to say. Seems the planet was part of a
binary system,and the planet was bigger than Jupiter. I can't
imagine the Hubble picking out Binary systems at such great distances.
Bert

Old July 12th 03, 06:34 PM
Shadowolf

From what I've read, the planet is just 5,600 Light Years away - but that
doesn't make the Hubble any less of an achievement.

If only the mirror had been made correctly in the first place so they didn't
have to remove a the promising Faint Object Camera and some other bits.

Old July 12th 03, 07:29 PM
David Knisely

Bert once again posted more incorrect stuff:

It shows what a great telescope the Hubble is I knew it was
good,but to pick out a planet some 12 billion light years away is
amazing.

It isn't 12 billion light years away. It is 5,600 light years away in
the globular cluster M4.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *
Old July 12th 03, 08:19 PM
Greg Neill

"mumblin-joe" wrote in message
[...]

We've already seen back as far as can be seen; WMAP has
imaged the surface of last scattering of the early
universe, before which it is entirely opaque.

More than just imaging the furthest objects is involved
in dating the universe. Given what we do see, a backwards
extrapolation of the motions of it all has the whole lot
coming together to a single spot some 13.5 billion years
in the past.

Even so, there's little doubt that there exists more of
the universe beyond our little 13.5 billion light year
horizon. In fact, it is thought that the universe is
immensly larger than our little observable patch. But
it is also true that we should never be able to see it.
You see, as the universe expands, the further away things
are the faster they are receeding. At some given distance,
the rate at which things recede equals and then exceed
the speed of light. Any light emitted by objects beyond
that radius can never reach us.