Nasa ******s

Old July 8th 03, 06:29 PM
Anonymous

Default Nasa ******s

(Ron Baalke) writes:

European Space Agency
Science News Release 6-2003
Paris, France

Beagle 2 tests successfully completed

On Friday 4 July, and Saturday 5 July 2003, engineers successfully carried out
overnight tests on the Mars Express lander, Beagle 2.

Ground controllers at the European Space Agency's Operations Centre in
Darmstadt, Germany, contacted Mars Express at the weekend to carry out the tests
on the lander, which were rescheduled from two weeks ago. These functional tests
included uploading software and switching units on and off.

With these tests, the near-Earth phase of the Mars Express payload check-outs is
almost complete. All instruments, including the lander, have performed as
expected. Star calibration of some instruments is scheduled for mid-July, which
marks the first attempt to make scientific measurements. This will also be done
in the same way when nearer to Mars.

Rudi Schmidt, ESA Mars Express Project Manager, said: "This check-out was a
marvellous example of complete cooperation between ESA's Mars Express and the
Beagle lander teams Another major milestone has been achieved successfully. What
a fantastic feeling!"

For further information please contact:

Rudolf Schmidt, ESA Mars Express Project Manager
ESA-ESTEC
Tel: +31 (0)71 565 3603
E-mail:

Related articles

* Clamps away, Mars Express eases its grip on its lander
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM6BSS1VED_index_0.html
* Mars Express en route for the Red Planet
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMIKNS1VED_index_0.html
* Mars Express -- ESA sets ambitious goals for the first European mission to Mars
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMV72S1VED_index_0.html

Related links

* Europe goes to Mars
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/index.html
* ESA Science
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/index.html
* Russian Space Agency
http://www.rosaviakosmos.ru/english/eindex.htm

Media info

* Science News Release
http://www.esa.int/sci_mediacentre/r...tml?release=25

IMAGE CAPTION:
[http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMZ..._index_1.html]
The Beagle 2 lander, to be carried on ESA's Mars Express, is equipped with a
suite of instruments designed to look for evidence of life on Mars. Credits: ESA.

Yeah I bet that stuck in your NASA throat eh Baalke!!....That us Brits
could do something NASA cant.....

When you gonna scrap that waste of money the ISS Baalke
eh you know your just there spinning a story, how about
telling the US of A tax payer what their money is being wasted
on!!!!

Old July 8th 03, 07:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Anonymous" ] wrote in message
snip

Yeah I bet that stuck in your NASA throat eh Baalke!!....That us Brits
could do something NASA cant.....

Er...uh...we have already successfully landed on Mars in the past, so choke
on that FACT.

When you gonna scrap that waste of money the ISS Baalke
eh you know your just there spinning a story, how about
telling the US of A tax payer what their money is being wasted
on!!!!

Er...uh...the I in ISS stands for International, as in 16 member countries.

I should have guess where you were coming from when I saw your Pro-Bert
post.

BV.

Old July 9th 03, 09:08 AM
Anonymous

"BenignVanilla" m writes:

"Anonymous" ] wrote in message
snip

Yeah I bet that stuck in your NASA throat eh Baalke!!....That us Brits
could do something NASA cant.....

Er...uh...we have already successfully landed on Mars in the past, so choke
on that FACT.

Yeah but how many times have you failed to land or even get there???
I supose NASA uses the rule that if they send enough craft then
surely ONE must make it!....

When you gonna scrap that waste of money the ISS Baalke
eh you know your just there spinning a story, how about
telling the US of A tax payer what their money is being wasted
on!!!!

Er...uh...the I in ISS stands for International, as in 16 member countries.

Yeah and screwed by one organisation..NASA....

Old July 9th 03, 10:59 AM
Doug Ellison

Yeah I bet that stuck in your NASA throat eh Baalke!!....That us Brits
could do something NASA cant.....

As a brit - this post is just disgusting.

I'm very proud of Beagle 2 - but also exceedingly envious of Nasa's
caperbilites and achievments in this field.

Doug

Old July 9th 03, 12:04 PM
Doug Ellison

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"Doug Ellison" wrote in message

Yeah I bet that stuck in your NASA throat eh Baalke!!....That us Brits
could do something NASA cant.....

As a brit - this post is just disgusting.

I'm very proud of Beagle 2 - but also exceedingly envious of Nasa's
caperbilites and achievments in this field.

Yes.
The nice thing, is that the landers now on their way to Mars, actually
'complement' one another quite well. The Beagle 2, is trying to make an
attempt to look for signatures of life (which was allready tried by the
Viking landers, but with the knowledge of the day, resulted in rather 'non
useful' results), while the US landers, are targetted towards Geology, and
especially looking at the history of some of the formations on the planet.
To put it mildly, the original poster, needs to increase their medication,
and realise that in the future, the only way that ships are going to be
economically possible, is by teams working together (Beagle 2, wouldn't be
going anywhere without the ESA, or the US). Some of the parts on the

Beagle
2, used design help from US teams, and testing facilities only available

in
the States...

Exactly - airbags were tested in the same facility as the MER airbags.
Some data relay for B2 will occur thru MO2K, and some data relay for the
MERs will occur thru MX

Medication neeed for sure

Doug

Old July 9th 03, 12:09 PM
Andrew McKay

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:59:27 +0100, "Doug Ellison"
wrote:

As a brit - this post is just disgusting.

Same here - I'm glad someone else piped up because it really annoyed
me earlier when I found that a fellow brit had been so discouraging
towards NASA and I've been considering an appropriate response.

Keep up the good work NASA!

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Old July 9th 03, 01:24 PM
Frog

wrote:

As a brit - this post is just disgusting.

Same here - I'm glad someone else piped up because it really annoyed
me earlier when I found that a fellow brit had been so discouraging
towards NASA and I've been considering an appropriate response.

Keep up the good work NASA!

Yes your work is so good your going backwards, now NASA doesnt
even have a launch vehicle capable of taking people up to that
tin can in orbit, Well not one that they dare use and is
anywhere near reasonably safe.

I reckon if they really do intend to launch another shuttle
with people on board, I reckon the people at the top of NASA
should be on it, just to reassure everyone that NASA really
does take safety seriously.

Not content with many of NASA's top people quiting and leaving
in disgust what are they going to do for their next trick!.

Actualy what Bert proposed earlier now seems even more better,
just launch the remaining shuttles with NASA management on board
bolt them to that tin can in orbit and fire the lot off
towards Jupiter and have done with it.

Then get back to the glory days of real space exploration
and stop wasting around in low earth orbit doing...er
what do they do??....Maybe Baalke can tell us all exactly
what amazing things and experiments they have been doing
in the tin can this month to justify the huge expense.

Indeed is there actualy anyone in it at the moment?. If
so, what are they doing?, apart from getting extremely bored.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Great someone should forward that above link to NASA, they
need all the help they can get.

Old July 9th 03, 01:41 PM
Frog

"Roger Hamlett" writes:

[...]

Not true, more hype and spin, beagle never crossed the atlantic
for any tests to be carried out, all the required testing facilites
are available this side of the atlantic now and have been for
some time...do you really think that everytime a country wants
to launch or test a sattelite or whatever they have to go to NASA,
I dont think so not anymore and havent for a long time as theres
other facilities available for that sort of thing now.

The US had nothing to do with beagle2.

Best Wishes

Old July 9th 03, 04:38 PM
Dosco Jones

"Frog" wrote in message

crap snipped

Now you're just being a bore.

plonk

Old July 9th 03, 04:57 PM
Frog

"Doug Ellison" writes:

Not true, more hype and spin, beagle never crossed the atlantic
for any tests to be carried out, all the required testing facilites
are available this side of the atlantic now and have been for
some time...do you really think that everytime a country wants
to launch or test a sattelite or whatever they have to go to NASA,
I dont think so not anymore and havent for a long time as theres
other facilities available for that sort of thing now.

The US had nothing to do with beagle2.

Out and out lie

The airbag system was tested in the very same test facility in the USA that
the american rovers, and pathfinder before it had their airbags tested. It
is the ONLY facility of its kind in the WORLD and the ONLY place that such a
test could occur.

Ah so its only the airbags then, earlier you were going on about
beagle itself being tested over there, anyone reading your earlier
post would come away thinking beagle was built by, tested by
and tested all in the US. Look we know you americans love to
exagerate, like how you won the war singlehandedly etc, and
how you captured the enigma machine(I think not) but get a grip
will you. What with the russians we dont need NASA for anything.
NASA are now a two bit player in this game, and of course the
Chinese and Japs well what more can I say, NASA who??

Do you know what ESA is?, its a space agency, not some mickey mouse
outfit, it is a full blown space agency and has everything a space
agency should have, INC testing facilities, same for the good Russians
so who needs NASA?? only the americans by the sound of it....Go on
make a movie about it I'll enjoy laughing all the way through it...

Stop talking compelte rubbish you idiot

Stop over inflating your importance

Doug

Moon and Mars expeditions vs. RLV development vthokie Policy 62 March 30th 04 04:51 AM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 07:05 PM
NASA's year of sorrow, recovery, progress and success Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 December 31st 03 07:28 PM
NASA Selects Explorer Mission Proposals For Feasibility Studies Ron Baalke Science 0 November 4th 03 10:14 PM
NASA Celebrates Educational Benefits of Earth Science Week Ron Baalke Science 0 October 10th 03 04:14 PM