Which CCD camera?

Old May 17th 04, 09:58 PM
Robert Pollard

Default Which CCD camera?

I think the urban myth got started (at least in the Uk) because of the fact
there never used to be an SBig distributer here until recently and the cost
of importing would be very high after import charges and tax. Now that there
is a dedicated supplier, things have certainly got a lot more interesting in
the UK market!

Regards
RobP
My Astro Site:
http://www.robapol.demon.co.uk/

From: "David Nakamoto"
you won't hold it against me for advocating a product I like, would you?

Certainly not. That was never my intention. Just wanted to put the

brakes on
what has become kind of another urban legend g.

Regards,
Michael Barber
SBIG

Old May 18th 04, 08:01 PM
David Nakamoto

Oh! But it's so much FUN to keep these non-factoids going, especially since
I don't believe in UFO's, X-File conspiracies, flying screws in Maxico, NASA
comspiracies, and the like, this is the only one I'm on the wrong side of,
so . . .
^_^

--
Sincerely . . . but with tongue firmly in cheek ^_^ ,
--- Dave

A man is a god in ruins.
--- Duke Ellington

Old May 18th 04, 08:06 PM
David Nakamoto

Well, the prices and quality of CCD cameras were always interesting in the
US market for many years, especially since somehow a lot of the players in
the market left, leaving us with basically two choices it seems. Just like
the early days of personal computers and now we seem to have only
PC/Microsoft and Macs. Hmmmm . . . ^_^

Anyway, it's been a while since Terry and Michael have traded specs on a
thread here, and I thought I'd see if either were still listening here.
Teaches me to test someone's "hearing" by shouting something so . . . urban
legendy. ^_^
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

A man is a god in ruins.
--- Duke Ellington

Old May 19th 04, 03:59 PM
Tim Kearsley

Rob,

As a matter of interest, who is the dedicated supplier in the UK? If
your reply is going to be "CCD Planet" then I believe that is none
other than BC & F by another name, who *used* to be the SBIG supplier
in the UK. From personal experience, that doesn't fill me with
confidence!

Best regards,

Tim Kearsley

Old May 20th 04, 04:47 PM
Robert Pollard

Yeah that is the supplier, but unlike BC&F the address is in
Cambridgeshire?! I have to admit my experience with BC&F hasn't been that
good either, I guess they are too understaffed for their share in the market
place.

om...

Old May 20th 04, 08:39 PM
Derrick Farley

It is most definitely not BC&F, CCD Planet is a totally separate
company.
Derrick

Robert Pollard wrote:
Yeah that is the supplier, but unlike BC&F the address is in
Cambridgeshire?! I have to admit my experience with BC&F hasn't been that
good either, I guess they are too understaffed for their share in the market
place.

"Tim Kearsley" wrote in message
. com...
Rob,

As a matter of interest, who is the dedicated supplier in the UK? If
your reply is going to be "CCD Planet" then I believe that is none
other than BC & F by another name, who *used* to be the SBIG supplier
in the UK. From personal experience, that doesn't fill me with
confidence!

Best regards,

Tim Kearsley

.. .

http://www.lh-dome.demon.co.uk/
Old May 21st 04, 08:11 AM
Tim Kearsley

Hi Derrick,

Well, they may be "officially" a different company but there must be
close ties to BC & F, because if you look at the e-mail address quoted
on the CCDPlanet web site ) and then look at the
www.hfo.org.uk website you find none other than BC & F. So I take
your point, but I will still tread carefully due to prior bitter
experience!

Cheers,

Tim.

Old May 21st 04, 10:54 AM
Derrick Farley

Hi Tim,
CCDplanet is a venture set up by Robert Dalby (the owner Astro
Engineering whose biggest UK customer happens to be BC&F) and Adrian
Catterall, a long time user of SBIG (and other) CCD equipment - see
http://www.observatory.demon.co.uk/
BC&F have no connection to CCDPlanet, either financially or in terms of
control.

Having said the above, I am sure that after BC&F lost the SBIG
dealership some time ago, many people have found a source of SBIG kit
outside the UK which they will continue to use.
HTH

Derrick

Old May 21st 04, 10:07 PM
Ian King

Tim

I work for BC&F and I can tell you categorically that CCD Planet is
nothing to do with BC&F or Telescope House.

Derrick summarised the situation very well.

Regards

Ian King