Quality Mounts

Old March 2nd 04, 05:04 PM
José Manuel Taverner Torres

Default Quality Mounts

First of all, sorry about my english. I'm Spanish and I don't know very much
english.

I have a Celestron C-8 in a EQ5 equivalent mount by Celestron, the CG5. I am
searching a quality mount for my telescope, but here, in Sapin, they are
very expensive.

An example is the Losmandy G-11. Here is arround 3000$ (without computer,
only mount + field tripod). Another example is the Meade LXD-650. Here is
arround 4500? (US$ 5500 or 6000) (with the computer, same as LX200
computer).

A friend of mine sells this mount (Meade's one) at 2600? (arround US$ 3000
or 3500).

Do you think this mount is really good and quality? Thanks for all

Old March 2nd 04, 06:18 PM
Roger Hamlett

"José Manuel Taverner Torres" wrote in message
. es...
First of all, sorry about my english. I'm Spanish and I don't know very

much
english.

I have a Celestron C-8 in a EQ5 equivalent mount by Celestron, the CG5. I

am
searching a quality mount for my telescope, but here, in Sapin, they are
very expensive.

An example is the Losmandy G-11. Here is arround 3000$ (without computer,
only mount + field tripod). Another example is the Meade LXD-650. Here is
arround 4500? (US$ 5500 or 6000) (with the computer, same as LX200
computer).

A friend of mine sells this mount (Meade's one) at 2600? (arround US$ 3000
or 3500).

Do you think this mount is really good and quality? Thanks for all

No.
The G-11, beats it by more than the price difference!. The GP-DX (though a
smaller mount), is better than the LXD by a big margin...
The LXD-650, is a very cheaply made/assembled piece of kit. I have seen
four, and _none_ was complete, or working properly 'out of the box', and all
needed a lot of work to get working reasonably well (the PE is still worse
than the GP-DX).

Best Wishes

Old March 6th 04, 09:04 AM
Szaki

If you going use a C-8 , a GP or GP-DX is would be an excellent mount for
it. You can buy a GP mount on Astromart, for $600-$700 with Vixen drives.
GP-DX is more, maybe $1200, than ship it to Europe, for $100. I think the
G-11 is an over kill, unless you planning to use a heavier OTA, like a C-11.
Check out the Hungarian(close to Spain), Andras's G-41 mount for 3000 Euro,
looks like a very nice mount. Very accurate, handles a C-11. Seen it here
in the US as Demo, impressive. Look at those 6" worm gears.
http://www.astronomy.hu/

Julius

Old March 6th 04, 09:47 PM
Gembol

For the information about G-41. I have seen it and now I can think more
about mounts.

"Szaki" escribió en el mensaje
For what?

JS

Old March 11th 04, 07:36 PM
Edward Tam

I have bought the one Andras himself was using. Nice mount, good
looking, track well, relatively easy to fine tune. But I also got his
new Pular drive controller (instead of the FS-2) which had some inital
teething problem. It is quite nice now. See my site at
http://ihome.cuhk.edu.hk/~s032212/ for pics taken with it. But it has
been developed into two version (observery and portable.)

Edward Tam

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:17:50 GMT, "Szaki" wrote:

I seen it at CallStar last year.

Julius

"Gembol" wrote in message
.es...
For the information about G-41. I have seen it and now I can think more
about mounts.

"Szaki" escribi? en el mensaje
For what?

JS

"Gembol" wrote in message
. es...
Thanks for all, Szaki

"Szaki" escribi? en el mensaje
[...]

________________________
| |
| Edward Tam, |
| |
| |
Old March 11th 04, 10:52 PM
Mike \El dels Molins\

And, I ask myself, it not cheaper to buy a Celestron CGE800 (3499 $) or the
CGE925 (3799$) ?

Custom may be the 4,5 % or 0 % if you manage clevery, and the ship may be
something 300 to 400 $ to spain. That make and amount of less than 4000
euro. Celestron is " importable" from usa, Meade is not

Mike

. es...