Meade LPI

Old December 4th 03, 04:19 PM
Bruce

Default Meade LPI

Does anyone have the lunar planetary imager that can give us a review?

Thanks,

Bruce

Old December 4th 03, 08:32 PM
skymuffins

"Bruce" wrote in message
Does anyone have the lunar planetary imager that can give us a review?

Thanks,

Bruce

I second that request... I did a google search and found that some folks are
having some problems with it locking up their computer... I am very
interested in getting one for my old C8.

Old December 5th 03, 06:13 AM
Bruce

I read about some PC crashes too, but the machines where clearly
under-powered for the application. I'd like to know about the image quality.
I know it's a fairly new product but it's tempting to say if it were any
good we would be seeing some images posted by now, which I haven't yet.
Hopefully someone who has one will give us the lowdown!

Bruce

Old December 7th 03, 12:47 AM
Leonard

A couple of local amateur astronomers got one.
Their review was incomplete but pretty much as already posted.

The software was iffy. The free software tools work with it though.
The results he posted were not as good as some taken with a regular
web cam although he did say he was having issues getting good focus
(first time out) and that applies to all cameras.

His words "This was my first attempt at astrophotography -- I think
the LPI worked pretty well for such a cheap camera."

The only reason I can think of getting one is that the software is a
value add.

A ToUCam Pro will set you back a little more with the adapter and -IR
filter required for color work. And that is before the long exposure
mod.

Another said it worked ok as a guider.

Leonard