Newbie question.

Old November 11th 03, 01:01 AM
Skymuffins

Default Newbie question.

Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be upgrading to
a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for doing
some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the mount
to eventually
support a larger scope as well.

Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they are
right in my budget.

Thanks for the help.

--
- Harrison

Old November 12th 03, 09:08 AM
Peter R Hobson

Takahashi EM10 or, cheaper, the Takahasi P2Z. Try to get a second hand one as
they ARE expensive but are extremely well made and track beautifully.

Dr P Hobson

Old November 12th 03, 06:13 PM
Skymuffins

Skymuffins wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be

upgrading to
a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for

doing
some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the

mount
to eventually
support a larger scope as well.

Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they

are
right in my budget.

Thanks for the help.

--
- Harrison

Whoa! Takahashi is a bit out of my price range! I have a Celestron C-8 that
I haven't used in a while... it needs a tune-up. I wanted a decent little
mount that would hold a fair amount of weight (20 lbs). I just want to hook
an ETX 90 to it (as the drive that mine came with has NEVER tracked worth a
darn... I like the scope though, I would also like to hook a digital camera
to it and my little quick cam and do some planetary imaging and
constellation shots. I don't need the deepsky stuff (I'm about $10 grand
shy of that kind of setup), just a moderately sturdy little mount.

Old November 12th 03, 07:39 PM
David Nakamoto

You might want to visit the Orion telescopes website:

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?it...Type=HOME_PAGE

Look at the EQ mounts. If you really are serious about not needing
something for deep sky stuff, the EQ-3 is more than passable.

But if you want a mount that might take a larger scope and for doing deep
sky stuff, look into a Vixen GP or GP-DX mount.

Good Luck!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to Man.
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.
It is the middle ground between light and shadow,
Between Science and superstition
And it lies between the pit of Man's fears
and the Sunlight of his knowledge.
It is the dimension of imagination.
It is an area that might be called. . . The Twilight Zone.

Old November 12th 03, 09:24 PM
Peter R Hobson

Dear Skymuffins

Well that was my view for a few years (and I had a C8 on a good Vixen GP with a
nice wooden tripod). I bought a Takahashi EM200 (even MORE expensive than those
I suggested) second hand about 18 months ago and I can only urge you to believe
me when I say that it was worth it. Long focal length telescopes are not
forgiving of cheap mounts.

I would rather a £300 telescope on a £1700 mount than the other way about.

Peter Hobson

Old November 12th 03, 09:30 PM
Skymuffins

Thanks Peter, for the info. That is certainly a point well taken. I would
like a mount that I can grow into...