More widefield work

Old October 13th 03, 03:06 AM
Richard Crisp

Default More widefield work

last night I continued looking for giant nebulae with my Traveller/Dream
Machine.

Here's what I shot:

IC1396 Nebula
http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...2HaO3_page.htm

IC405 Nebula plus neighbors
http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/ic405_Ha_page.htm

NGC2244 Rosette Nebula
http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...sette_page.htm

IC434/B33 Nebulae
http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...flame_page.htm

Old December 5th 03, 03:29 AM
bwallis

Looks like you are having a lot of fun doing wide angle CCD work ....

You might give NGC 7293 a try using a lrger field... there's more to it
thatn is usually imaged...

http://voltaire.csun.edu/7293.html

and going to smaller fields ... there is a great object imbedded in 1396

http://voltaire.csun.edu/vdb142.html

seen in your 1396 image and at

http://voltaire.csun.edu/IC1396.html

the traveller is quite a nice imager for tri-color work ....
a bit of a differnet view of IC 405....

http://voltaire.csun.edu/AEaurigae.html

GREAT WORK ... keep on going ... !!!

Brad Wallis

--
Brad Wallis
What if this is as good as it gets ?

Old December 5th 03, 04:01 AM
Richard Crisp

thanks for the comments Brad. Wow, I am delighted to have such a luminary
contact me with words of encouragement.

I have the book that you and Provin did. Wonderful work.

I missed out on the Helix this season but will surely get it next.

You are right about the outer extents. The Dumbell has a similar outer
nebula as does M57. I did manage to get a bit of the M27 outer he

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...hao3b_page.htm

I want to do the Helix but probably will have to wait until next year :-(

I actually did shoot VDB142 but only in Ha:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...la_ha_page.htm

I hope to add some tricolor to it before it disappears until next year.

Your IC405 is definitely different. I expect to go after it again before too
much longer.

You may want to take a look at some of my newer stuff:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/New_Images_page.htm

I especially like this Rosette, it was my first color mosaic (1 x 2):

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/..._cfht_page.htm

or in a different color assignment:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...osaic_page.htm

By the way I am using Benoit's old Dream Machine. He sold it to me in early
2002.

I am really having a good time with the emission line filters, I am doing
quite a lot with Ha, [OIII] and [SII]. I recently received an [NII] which I
hope will help reveal additional latent structure.

Note that the Rosette has wonderful contrast with the [SII] and Ha lines
separated into different colors rather than two slightly different shades of
red. That's one of the really powerful things about the emission line
filters used in tricolor. Check out these Veil shots:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...in_ha_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/pickering_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...egion_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/ngc6960_page.htm

or this Crescent:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...ission_line_pa
ge.htm

There's just so much that is not seen when using RGB or Ha. The [OIII] and
the [SII] really make things look different when you can separate them.

Thanks for writing Brad!
Richard