King 10 and Saloranta GN J2256.0+5906

Old October 9th 17, 09:13 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default King 10 and Saloranta GN J2256.0+5906

King 10 is an open cluster in southeastern Cepheus. The eastern border of Cepheus with Cassiopeia runs along the eastern edge of my image. WEBDA puts its distance at 11,000 light-years and its age as only 28 million years making it very young. Though the stars don't appear all that blue as would be expected at its age. This is because it is reddened by galactic dust by 1.14 magnitudes according to WEBDA.

I suspect the bright blue stars in the image are all much closer and out of the reddening dust. 5 of them to the southeast of the cluster make a gentle arc with the leftmost being the brightest. Now go back one star from the left end. There's a faint reflection nebula below and to the left of it. That is listed at SIMBAD as Saloranta GN J2256.0+5906. It was discovered during a survey looking for previously unknown open clusters. One of the authors is a J. Saloranta is you were wondering where that name came from. The survey was published in March of 2006.

No, I didn't realize it was there when I took the image. If I had of known I'd have used a lot more exposure as it is barely above my noise level. It appears there's a large even fainter blue cloud running north and south through its position but I'd need a lot more time to verify it. The paper can be found here https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pd.../aa4057-05.pdf but doesn't mention the nebula other than to say some were found that need additional follow-up. I've not found anything further but SIMBAD indicates this is where the nebula was first mentioned. Table 3 does list some of these but not this one.

Note that if you search SIMBAD for this nebula be sure to ask only for it. If you ask for things around it, it will return a not found or other error message depending on how it feels that day. You can do a coordinate search 22h 56m 04.3s +59d 06' 10" for it and things around it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KING10L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	6713  Click image for larger version

Name:	KING10L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	6714
Old October 10th 17, 08:52 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

that's a surprisingly nice cluster considering that it escaped the NGC and IC observers. And the reflection nebula is also clearly visible.
Stefan

ASTRO: NGC 5906 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 4 July 5th 08 12:21 AM
Ed Conrad Knocks 'Em Dead on Larry King Live -- The King Is Speechless Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 1 April 6th 07 01:45 AM
King of the Jungle... Michael Baldwin, Bruce Misc 2 March 1st 06 03:56 PM
All the King's Men Twittering One Misc 1 November 8th 04 12:23 AM
All the King's horses and all the King's men... Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 1 October 28th 03 11:13 PM