June 30th is Asteroid Day!

Old February 17th 17, 12:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default June 30th is Asteroid Day!

Quadibloc:
Of course, just *one* asteroid equivalent to the one that killed the
dinosaurs, if it hits, would leave none of us around to worry about,
let alone deal with, the next one.

You don't mean that literally? Myriad species, including mammals
already ascending, survived the Yucatan event, and Homo sapiens would
survive an event of similar or even greater magnitude. Things would no
doubt be difficult for a period, with agriculture being hit hard due to
reduced photosynthesis, but given the near certainty that survivors
would include persons steeped in every field of human knowledge, and
that most of the world's infrastructure would survive, civilization
would recover.

And a *lesser* strike might cause enough economic damage to lessen our means
to create a system to defend against asteroids, even if it meant we now had the
will.

It wouldn't matter. Given the infrequency of such events, there would
be plenty of time to think about a defense system, or rather, to think
about whether a defense system is possible. I don't think that there is
agreement on the latter question at this time.

In the USA we have to hope that Democrats are running FEMA when such an
event occurs.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 17th 17, 03:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:20:51 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 5:07:50 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

True enough. But let it happen just once and see how much money we'll
throw at it. We're very good at dealing (or attempting to deal) with
foreseeable problems once the actually bite us.

Of course, just *one* asteroid equivalent to the one that killed the dinosaurs,
if it hits, would leave none of us around to worry about, let alone deal with,
the next one.

I think an impact similar to the Chicxulub event would be insufficient
to drive humans to extinction, although it would almost certainly
destroy or radically alter our existing societies.

And a *lesser* strike might cause enough economic damage to lessen our means to
create a system to defend against asteroids, even if it meant we now had the
will.

Asteroid sizes follow a power distribution law. An event such as the
one that created the Arizona meteor crater is likely enough to be a
genuine concern. Something which could be regionally damaging is far
more likely than another dinosaur killer, or even something big enough
to substantially destroy our world economy.

Global warming is another problem that is even more urgent, though.

Certainly true. But the UN already recognizes that. Making some
recognition that asteroids present a potential hazard doesn't diminish
that in any way.
Old February 17th 17, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 06:25:15 -0500, Davoud wrote:

In the USA we have to hope that Democrats are running FEMA when such an
event occurs.

Or NASA before it occurs.

(Actually, if we don't get the Republicans out of power soon, and
permanently, asteroids will be the least of our concerns.)
Old February 17th 17, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 7:10:29 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

(Actually, if we don't get the Republicans out of power soon, and
permanently, asteroids will be the least of our concerns.)

I don't know about _permanently_. If they're out of power for a decade or so, the
party might start offering sane candidates again. After all, it is the party of
Eisenhower in addition to Lincoln.

John Savard
Old February 17th 17, 07:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:09:02 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 7:10:29 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

(Actually, if we don't get the Republicans out of power soon, and
permanently, asteroids will be the least of our concerns.)

I don't know about _permanently_. If they're out of power for a decade or so, the
party might start offering sane candidates again. After all, it is the party of
Eisenhower in addition to Lincoln.

The name may survive, but if the current philosophy of the Republican
party survives, our nation will not.
Old February 17th 17, 09:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
I don't know about _permanently_. If they're out of power for a decade or so,
the party might start offering sane candidates again. After all, it is the party
of Eisenhower in addition to Lincoln.

How I laughed! Do you seriously believe that the party of Lincoln and
Eisenhower would have allowed Trump to take the White House!? This is
the Party of Nixon (PoN).

Old February 17th 17, 09:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:24:13 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Quadibloc:
I don't know about _permanently_. If they're out of power for a decade or so,
the party might start offering sane candidates again. After all, it is the party
of Eisenhower in addition to Lincoln.

How I laughed! Do you seriously believe that the party of Lincoln and
Eisenhower would have allowed Trump to take the White House!? This is
the Party of Nixon (PoN).

I'd welcome back the party of Nixon if it meant trading out what we
have now.
Old February 17th 17, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 14:03:07 UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:39:17 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 7:09:34 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

(Seriously though, it is not entirely outside our power to take action
to prevent such a strike, so there may well be value in expanding
awareness of the possibility.)

I admit that, but because the prospect of an asteroid impact is so remote, and the
general public has other priorities... it seems to me that an "Asteroid Day" to
raise general awareness is not a direction likely to yield much in the way of
useful results.

True. All the same there are more than 100 UN international days, and
hundreds more established by different countries. Most are just
symbolic commemorations of something or another. Symbols are not
without power, even if that power is very small.

Most are pointless or driven by narrow interests. Maybe the UN, in honour of itself as the World's political parasite should have "World Government Day?"
Old February 18th 17, 06:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
I don't know about _permanently_. If they're out of power for a decade or
so, the party might start offering sane candidates again. After all, it is the
party of Eisenhower in addition to Lincoln.

Davoud
How I laughed! Do you seriously believe that the party of Lincoln and
Eisenhower would have allowed Trump to take the White House!? This is
the Party of Nixon (PoN).

Chris L Peterson:
I'd welcome back the party of Nixon if it meant trading out what we
have now.

Yes, there's a lot of nostalgia for Nixon these days. The Nixon who
said, in dedicating the American Museum of Immigration:

"The American ideal has also braved the storms of time. And it always
will, as long as we keep alive the spark of freedom, ambition,
opportunity, and self-respect, as long as we keep alive the faith and
the commitment that transformed the poor, the oppressed, and the
downtrodden of the earth into proud, free citizens of the United
States." --Sept. 26, 1972

God bless our wonderful late president Nixon.

Old February 18th 17, 08:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 06:07:27 UTC+1, Davoud wrote:

God bless our wonderful late president Nixon.

I doubt that any god, worth its name, is interested.
The present holder of the claim to fame seems to be suffering from acute, delusional paranoia.
Probably par for the course where great wealth denies that person any recognizable form of conscience or empathy.
Their lives are wasted searching for the next insane fix in a desperate bid to satiate their crippling obsession with wealth.

The present incumbent is now seen to be completely naked.
Meanwhile he insists on pole dancing at every press conference and public twit ceremony.
I think we may we safely assume that reality has left the building.
[aka: the white house.]
Not much sign of reality anywhere in that blighted land at the moment.
In a sane world his twit account would be closed down if only to maintain the illusion of reality.
[Until the next pole vaulting event.]