ASTRO: MWP1 and Alv1

Old September 8th 15, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: MWP1 and Alv1

We had an extremely hot summer in Germany, temperatures of 35 degrees
celsius were the norm not the exception. Some say that Brandenburg (the
country surrounding Berlin) will become a desert sooner or later. Would be
OK with me if that means that we will get a lot of clear nights ;-)
Unfortunately most summer nights have only been semi-clear, some thin clouds
were always moving through. Fortunately that heatwave seems to be over now.

Motch-Werner-Pakull1 in Cygnus is a very old planetary nebula also called
the "Methusalem nebula".
I imaged it in five short summer nights in August with my RASA astrograph.
I really like the RASA, it brings with it a lot of disadvantages, but
imaging at f/2.2 opens up a new world for me.

When I inspected the processed image I noticed a ring structure to the lower
right of MWP1 that hat a blue star at it's center. The ring looks like an
overcorrected dust donut. At first I thought that this could be "Lilge2",
but some research showed that it was "Alves1" instead.

Taken from Berlin with a Celestron RASA on a G11 mount, Trius SX694 camera,
Baader "highspeed" Ha and OIII filters, 74x3min Ha, 186x3min OIII.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWP1gut.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	957.4 KB
ID:	5875
Old September 9th 15, 07:53 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I'd heard of MWP1 but not doing NB but for Ha I didn't consider it a_target. Never heard it called by a common name before. You really had to dig for Alv1. It is so faint I'd likely have dismissed it as a processing glitch. Good thing you trusted your data. I don't find it in any general PN catalog I have here, at least under that designation. Makes MWP1 look "big and bright".

That term is a joke in our astronomy club. Back in the 60's we had a great under achiever in the club who couldn't find anything in a scope. Even the moon was a major challenge for him. He rejected any help offered by warping it into something guaranteed to cause failure. A sad_case. Anyway one day he handed in his Messier log for the president to verify for his Messier award. He'd not been known to find M45 before let alone something difficult in his 60mm scope. Every single one had the description "Big and bright." Even those invisible in a 60mm scope from his in town yard he said he used. A sad_case indeed.

Conditions here have been awful though not due to heat. Smoke from fires 1500km west of here and clouds have been the issue. If clear smoke left only 1st and sometimes 2nd magnitude stars visible. Last night was clear and a bright but totally featureless aurora lit up the sky like it was a full moon night. My background went up from the normal 400 ADU in 10 minutes to 23,000. Yet all I saw was a super bright sky I could read a newspaper under. No streamers, color or anything though a local with a good_DSLR_for aurora (I don't have one) said it was bright red. My eyes didn't see any color even if it was bright enough I should have. I figure it was too deep red. His_DSLR_ is modified for astro work so gets deep red. I ended up throwing out everything as it was lost in the aurora background. I might as well have been imaging from central Berlin.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post
[...]

Last edited by WA0CKY : September 9th 15 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Underscores to prevent unrelated advertising links this site inserts