ASTRO: IC 5148 (PN in Grus)

Old January 12th 15, 10:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: IC 5148 (PN in Grus)

The southern constellation of Grus not only features some very nice
galaxies, but also this fine planetary nebula.
Colour is a bit unusal with pink parts instead of Halpha-red, but I think my
colour should be OK.

Taken from Kiripotib farm in Namibia with a 10" Meade ACF on an MK100 mount,
Trius SX694 camera, 4x10min UHC, 3x10min RGB each.
Image scale is 0,68 arcseconds/pixel.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC5148gut.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	5481
Old January 13th 15, 06:37 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Most images of this one I've seen have a bit more pink than you picked up. Think it is pink due to all the OIII in the same areas or in front or behind the Ha regions.

How many more from your southern trip await processing?

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post

Old February 2nd 15, 10:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default NGC 6366 A rarely seen globular cluster

Rick,

the red colour is really striking.
Now that I have free view to the south I can image all those southern
globulars, I wasn't aware of this one.

Stefan

"WA0CKY" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...

NGC 6366 is a faint, scattered, very reddened by galactic dust, globular
star cluster in the constellation of Ophiuchus 3 degrees southwest of
far better known M14. It is about 11,400 light-years from earth and
16,300 light-years from the center of the galaxy. It is classified as
class XI. These tend to look much like open star clusters than globular
star clusters. It's brightest star is only magnitude 13.6 so it isn't
easily resolved even in fairly large amateur telescopes. NED shows it
dimmed by 2.5 magnitudes in the V band where human vision is most
sensitive. Photometric measurements show it 1.6 magnitudes brighter in
red light than blue. This turns its stars quite red in my image. I
color balanced to the photometric values not the spectral values. The
latter would have shown it much bluer erasing the reddening of the dust
we are forced to look through to see this globular.

I had to move the cluster well right of center to keep the 4.5 magnitude
F3V star, HD 157950, out of the frame. Even then it sent a nasty blue
gradient across much of the image though it didn't quite reach to NGC
6366 itself. During the image transparency was poor for the color data.
It was a bit better but still far from "normal" when I took the
luminance channel. This weak color data made getting color into these
stars rather difficult.

It was discovered on April 12 1860 by Fiedrich August Theodore Winnecke,
a German astronomer. It is said by Auwers it was found using a 3" Merz
refractor. He discovered other NGC objects, numbers 1398, 2146, 2276,
4760, 6791, and 6655. He is sometimes said to have found 2300 but it
was seen 4 years earlier by Borrelly. He is sometimes credited as co
discoverer of 1360 but Swift found it 3 years earlier. Georg Friedrich
Julius Arthur von Auwers another German astronomer included it in his
list as Auwers 36. I can't tell if this is an independent discovery.
Since these two were friends that shared data it may not be an
independent discovery.

While there is a scattering of faint, highly dust obscured galaxies in
the frame none had redshift values so no annotated image was prepared.

Rick

--
WA0CKY