astro: moon

Old November 7th 14, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kapella

Default astro: moon

I love the photos posted here, been lurking for a long time. I
recently bought a Canon SX50 and took this (handheld, 50 optical zoom)
shot. The camera shoots raw, and I was able to get this image on my
first try. Some slight processing of the raw image, and this is the
result. I'm pretty happy with it.

Kapella
Old November 8th 14, 04:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kapella

Default astro: moon - IMG_0082 processed.jpg (0/1)

OOPS! It helps if I post the pic!
Kapella
Old November 8th 14, 04:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kapella

Default astro: moon - IMG_0082 processed.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082 processed.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	5375
Old November 9th 14, 08:55 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

That's about the best non telescope shot of the moon I've seen.

Looks like your lens has a good flat field. The moon shows up field curvature very quickly. A bit of chromatic aberration shows with a blue edge at the top and red at the bottom. If you can use a longer exposure stopping down the lens might help with that. The moon is notorious for showing up even a very slight color error.

I suspect from the green cast this one was taken from an area with a rather bright sky from light pollution. That usually is what causes the green cast. I've removed the excess green to give your image a more true color. I work from a dark site and in long exposure work see a green cast but in my case it is due to air glow. The atmosphere absorbs ultraviolet light by day. That energy excites the far upper atmosphere to glow. At my latitude the result as a green cast to my images.

If the camera has good faint light response you should be able to get some wide field images of the Milky Way if you go to a dark site. Some amazing work can be done with today's digital cameras with large sensor chips.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moon.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	5376
Old November 16th 14, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Not bad for hand held...
It looks like it was taken through a small telescope.

Stefan

ASTRO: Moon Kev[_2_] Astro Pictures 0 November 13th 09 09:26 AM
astro: 1-19-08 moon John N. Gretchen III Astro Pictures 2 January 20th 08 06:55 PM
ASTRO: New Moon in the Old Moon's arms J McBride Astro Pictures 3 September 8th 07 04:21 PM
ASTRO: New Moon in the Old Moon's arms J McBride Astro Pictures 0 September 8th 07 04:03 PM
ASTRO: 1.3 and 2.4 day old moon TheCroW Astro Pictures 2 April 23rd 07 12:15 AM