ASTRO: IC 0349 Barnard's Merope Nebula

Old April 18th 14, 05:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 0349 Barnard's Merope Nebula

Barnard's Merope Nebula, aka IC 349 was discovered by Edward Emerson
Barnard, perhaps the best visual astronomer ever and great proponent of
photography in astronomy. But he found this nebula visually using the
36" Lick Observatory refractor in 1890. Being so close to a very bright
star (0.06 light-years) it is a difficult object both visually and
photographically. It should not be confused with the far larger, and
much more obvious, Merope Nebula around the star. That is IC 1435.

The flat side of the corrector in my scope creates horrid reflections
around stars as bright as Merope making this nebula an extremely
difficult target for me. This is my second attempt and came out
somewhat better than the first one 7 years ago. The many wonky
reflections played havoc with the color data. I made only a very basic
attempt to correct the color issues. Don't consider the color as reliable.

By far the best image of this nebula was taken with the Hubble Space
Telescope in 1999. It plus more information on this curious nebula can
be found at:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...00/36/image/a/

There are two asteroids in my image. Since they are hard to find,
especially the faint one I did prepare an annotated image. As there
were 11 2MASS galaxies in the image I noted them as well. Though none
had any distance data or even a magnitude. There are other obvious
galaxies in the image but they aren't listed in NED. Likely because
they aren't bright at 2 microns, a requirement to make the 2MASS which
is about the only survey NED includes that covers this part of the sky.

14" LX200R f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC0349L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	5073  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC0349L4X10RGB2X10-ID.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	5074  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC0349L4X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	5075