ASTRO: NGC 7296

Old March 20th 14, 07:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 7296

NGC 7296 is a small open cluster, in Lacerta, almost lost in the
background of the Milky Way. It was on my list as a Herschel 400
object. I take those when nothing better is within my meridian limits.
Even visually I found it rather lost in the Milky Way. My Herschel
400 entry, made June 14, 1985, reads: "Small cluster, nearly drown out
by a very rich Milky Way. Where does the writer come up with the '2
degrees east of Beta' (statement) when its less than 1 degree east?" I
went on about this error as I was pointing 2 degrees east and seeing
nothing until I realized that position didn't match the given
coordinates. When I used the coordinates it was easy to find.
Apparently I wasn't happy with the time it cost me looking the wrong
place for it.

Herschel recorded this one twice it appears, once with wrong
coordinates. Thus it carries two NGC numbers 7295 and 7296. Oddly
SIMBAD doesn't list an entry for 7295. When the POSS server uses SIMBAD
for coordinates 7295 is found but at a slightly different coordinate
south of the right position. When NED is used for the coordinates both
are the same but again point slightly south of the cluster's center.

I found little on this object. WEBDA indicates it is about 9550
light-years distant and very young at an age of about 100 million years.
The Sky lists the bright orange star in the cluster as being only 153
light-years distant so not a cluster member. The Sky didn't list
distances to any other stars in the area of the cluster.

NED does list a few galaxies in the area but without distance data.
I've shown those it listed in the reduced annotated image.

My blue data was severely hurt by haze that cleared for the other
colors. I had to compensate with a far larger factor than I normally
would use. Color is therefore somewhat suspect.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7295L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	5032  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7295L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	663.9 KB
ID:	5033  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7295L4X10RGB2X10ID-67.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	5034
Old March 21st 14, 09:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's a nice view with the red star among the blue/white ones...

Stefan