ASTRO: vdB 153 a small reflection nebula

Old February 7th 14, 07:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: vdB 153 a small reflection nebula

vdB 153 is a reflection nebula in Cepheus around the star GSC 4268:166
aka BD+64 1677 which SIMBAD lists as a Be star. Meaning it is a B2V
star with emission lines. I find very little on the nebula or star.
From its location I will assume it is part of the Cepheus Bubble that
surrounds the Cepheus OB2 star forming region. That has a distance of
about 900 parsecs by some estimates, about 3,000 light-years. The
nebula alone is known as GN 22.21.5. There's an interesting looking
double dark nebula in the lower right corner though SIMBAD has nothing
on it. There are many of these in the sky that aren't individually
cataloged. Too small to bother with I suppose. They look like Bok
globules though that's only my surmise.

Tom Davis' wide field view of vdB 153 and surrounding nebulae such as
Sh2-140 can be found at:
http://www.tvdavisastropics.com/astr...s-1_0000c9.htm That image got
me to add this one to my list. It is oriented east at the top. The
small double dark nebula is more obvious in his much longer exposure.
Due to the weak HII signal I processed it out as just too noisy to
include. I'd planned on much more exposure time and did take a lot more
but seeing was poor but for one night. I decided the faint nebulosity
added less than the bad seeing subtracted so only used the data from the
night of best seeing. While seeing was good this night the transparency
wasn't what it was the nights of poor seeing. The atmospheric
uncertainty principle at work I suppose.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VDB153L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	587.6 KB
ID:	4975
Old February 10th 14, 09:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's a nice small reflection nebula.
The image by Tom Davis reminds me that I have Sh2-140 still unprocessed
somewhere...

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

vdB 153 is a reflection nebula in Cepheus around the star GSC 4268:166
aka BD+64 1677 which SIMBAD lists as a Be star. Meaning it is a B2V
star with emission lines. I find very little on the nebula or star.
From its location I will assume it is part of the Cepheus Bubble that