ASTRO: Barmard 139 and a mystery object

Old January 16th 14, 08:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Barmard 139 and a mystery object

Barnard 139 is a very red dark nebula in Aquila. I couldn't find a
reliable distance. One paper did assign it a distance of 600 parsec but
that was an "Assumed value" used for analyzing their data. That would
translate into an "assumed 2,000 light-years.

While I didn't realize it at the time I also caught the planetary nebula
NGC 6778 near the bottom of the frame. It's a rather unusual looking
planetary. That's because it is "disrupted". It has a binary central
star (not seen in my image) that creates two collimated outflows that
are thought to be the cause of the disruption. You can read all about
it at http://arxiv.org/pdf/1201.2042v1.pdf . The distance to it is very
uncertain as I found two papers saying it was between 1 an 3.7 or 1 and
4 kpc which would be 3,300 to 13,000 light-years.

I also caught the object known as IC 1298 which is listed as an open
star cluster. But it consists of only 4 or 5 stars. Dreyer's
description is very small cluster then it mentions NGC 6788 3 minutes
east. SIMBAD returns "Not found in database." I guess that means they
consider it non existent. I've marked it anyway on the annotated image.
At best it is just an asterism.

Several galaxies are seen through all the obstructing dust. I've marked
the two most obvious ones. No galaxies in the field are noted at NED or
SIMBAD. They are obviously reddened due to scattering of their blue
light by the obscuring dust.

Several galaxies are seen through all the obstructing dust. I've marked
the two most obvious ones. No galaxies in the field are noted at NED or
SIMBAD. They are obviously reddened due to scattering of their blue
light by the obscuring dust. There's a third object I noticed that is
not obviously reddened at the bottom center of the image. It is noted
with a question mark. I don't know if it is a galaxy that escaped the
reddening of the others due to a hole in the dust or is so blue the
reddening only turned it white or it is something else like a planetary
nebula. I'm not fond of the galaxy idea as I see no hint of a core
region seen in the other field galaxies. Neither NED nor SIMBAD show
anything at its position which is about 19h 18m 00.5S -1d 36' 45". It's
not in the published listings of planetary candidates. There's an
unpublished list I have no access to nor did anyone I contacted about
this. Right now the area is too near the sun for imaging. It will be
late spring before it is high enough in my sky to try and get a higher
resolution image of it. It is faintly but clearly seen in the POSS 1
and 2 images but not with enough resolution to tell much about it. I
don't have an OIII filter. That might help tell if it is a planetary.
That it is rather neutral in color bothers me. Galaxies should be red
and most planetaries are either red or blue. Only some reflection
nebulae are neutral and those are rare. Another possibility is it is
just a tight grouping of faint unresolved stars. Lots of possibilities
but no answers as yet. If anyone knows anything about what it is please
let me know.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B139L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	4951  Click image for larger version

Name:	B139L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	635.2 KB
ID:	4952
Old January 21st 14, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

and I thought you might have discovered a new PN :-)
Barnard 139 is a worthy object to image in itself, but the PN is a real
beauty. Much like M27, only (much) smaller.
Guide 9 finds the PN when searching for NGC 6778, but shows it's name as NGC
6785, so it seems to have two NGC numbers.

Stefan

Old January 21st 14, 11:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I missed the "?" for the mystery object. Surely no star, but I wouldn't dare
to guess what it might be.
As you mention it seems unlikely to be a galaxy with it's even distribution
of brightness.

Old January 22nd 14, 07:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

And I should have mentioned its double identity. The NGC project has a
couple entries on it. First reads:
NGC 6785 = N6778? = PK 34-6.1 = PN G034.5-06.7
19 18 24.8 -01 35 47

See observing notes for N6778.

Discovered by JH (h2038). Bigourdan gave a minor change of 0.2 tmin E
in the IC 2 notes. At this position on the GSC is a close trio
consisting of a mag 13.3 star with nearby mag 14.8/14.9 stars. A mag 11
star is 1.2' E. The position of the mag 13.3 star is 19 20 57.8 -01 08
13. Corwin states this clump is clearly *not* N6785, but may refer to
the planetary nebula N6778. See NGCBUGS.

- by Steve Gottlieb

Followed by Dr. Corwin's comment referenced in the above comment:

NGC 6785 = NGC 6778. JH's description reads "An eS stellar neb = a *
15m; it is 2/3 of a diam of field (= 10') from a double star which it
follows, to S. Pos from the star = 240 deg +-. The RA is excessively
loose." This fits N6778 if the phrase "which it follows" is changed to
"which follows it." Then, the position angle agrees as well. This
means, however, that not only is the RA "excessively loose," but that
there is 30 arcmin error in JH's Dec as well.

Bigourdan's correction to the RA quoted in the IC2 Notes applies to a
random clump of stars at JH's original (incorrect) Declination. These
are clearly not NGC 6785. - Dr. Harold G. Corwin, Jr.

Observing notes for NGC 6778 read:
See observing notes for N6778.

Discovered by JH (h2038). Bigourdan gave a minor change of 0.2 tmin E
in the IC 2 notes. At this position on the GSC is a close trio
consisting of a mag 13.3 star with nearby mag 14.8/14.9 stars. A mag 11
star is 1.2' E. The position of the mag 13.3 star is 19 20 57.8 -01 08
13. Corwin states this clump is clearly *not* N6785, but may refer to
the planetary nebula N6778. See NGCBUGS.

- by Steve Gottlieb

Even with its double identity I find virtually no amateur images of this
planetary. I didn't even realize it was in the frame until it popped
out in processing. I often get odd reflections and figured that was
what it was but after processing it was obviously very different from
those reflections and, of course, matched the position of the planetary.
I'd like to see a higher resolution image of it.

Rick