ASTRO: Ringing in the New Year UGC 10168

Old December 31st 13, 08:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Ringing in the New Year UGC 10168

What better way of ringing in the new year but with a ring galaxy?

UGC 10168 is a nice ring galaxy in northwest Hercules about 280 million
light-years away. NED classifies it a (R)SAB0/a. It is part of a group
of 6 others in my image that range from 280 to 330 million light-years
away. The two at 330 million light-years are a close pair with a third
galaxy of unknown distance.

I am rather confused by the southwest one which is 2MFG 12903, an
irregular flat galaxy. What confuses me is the position NED lists for
it. It is midway between the obvious flat galaxy and the small galaxy
off its western edge. The pair with known distance form the galaxy pair
CGCG 250-044 with the flat galaxy and its apparent companion known as
CGCG 250-044 NED01 at the same position as the flat galaxy's well off
center position. Yet the description is just that of the flat galaxy.
Apparently someone picked up the position of this close pair as a unit
and applied it to the individual flat galaxy. Others just copied this
error?

The image contains an unusual number of quasars, 11 of them though 8 are
still considered quasar candidates that appears a formality. Their
distances are still somewhat uncertain having been determined from
filtered photographic data rather than the spectroscope. These quasar
candidates are labeled UvES for Ultraviolet Excess Source a trait of
very hot quasars.

Thanks to clouds I was clouded out in my first attempt. All color data
was lost the first try. I redid the color on another night. I later
found one of the red frames from the first night was useable so I have a
bit more red data than usual.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' R=3x10' GB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC10168L4X10R3X10GB2X10.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	4924  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC10168L4X10R3X10GB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	4925  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC10168L4X10R3X10GB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	4926
Old January 4th 14, 08:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

this type of galaxy really faszinates me. Unfortuntely most of them seem to
be small and dim...

Stefan