ASTRO: NGC 4402 another galaxy stripped by ram pressure

Old November 7th 13, 08:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 4402 another galaxy stripped by ram pressure

NGC 4402 in the heart of the Virgo Galaxy Cluster is another spiral with
its dust and gas being stripped by ram pressure due to its high velocity
through the cluster's intergalactic medium. Like NGC 4522 in my
previous entry the gas and dust is being blown upward -- actually left
behind as the denser parts of the galaxy are little phased by the ram
pressure. It may account for its curved dust lane as well. Even in my
image the "lifting" of the dust in the dust lane due to ram pressure
seems rather obvious having a 3D appearance. I didn't to any special
processing, it just came out that way with my ordinary processing. The
Hubble image and story about this is at:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0911c/ .

Since this galaxy is located near Arp 120 (NGC 4435 and 4438) I framed
it to include them. There seems to be some question if the two are
interacting or not. One school says the relative speeds are so high
they wouldn't be close enough to account for NGC 4438's tidal plumes.
That school feels the plumes are due to ingesting a galaxy in the past.
Though there's no sign of the remains of this galaxy.

The image contains many dwarf members of the Virgo cluster. The N in
their classification means they are "nucleated", that is, have an
obvious nucleus.

While I've included redshifts they are quite unreliable for this
cluster. The members have high relative velocity making redshift a poor
distance indicator. Some members have a blue shift others have such a
low redshift the conversion to a distance is meaningless. I've included
non redshift estimates when available in parentheses. VCC entries are
from the Virgo Cluster Catalog.

The other galaxies in the field make this one considerably more
photogenic than was NGC 4522. To me it's the idea that ram pressure can
tear dust and gas right out a a cluster member that makes these
"photogenic".

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' STL=11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4402L4X1RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	4824  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4402L4X1RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	4825  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4402L4X1RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	4826
Old November 13th 13, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

detail and colour are top notch which makes this image stand out even if
this is a region often imaged.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[...]

Did astronauts ever conduct water experiments outside the ISS HOAX where there's no cabin-pressure? Ha ha ha, cabin pressure! Richard Casady Misc 2 August 21st 11 04:25 PM
ASTRO: NGC 210 An Arp-like galaxy Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 3 October 17th 10 11:56 PM
Daily Report #4402 Pataro, Pete Hubble 0 July 12th 07 04:46 PM
ASTRO: galaxy M94 D van den H Astro Pictures 2 March 28th 07 07:17 PM
Stripped Filter John Nichols Amateur Astronomy 3 January 21st 06 02:27 AM