ASTRO: NGC 0151

Old September 7th 13, 08:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 0151

NGC 151 is an SB(r)bc spiral in western Cetus about 160 million
light-years from us. It seems to have possibly fit into Arp's class for
galaxies with a split arm as the western one does split into two arms
and the eastern one seems to divide into two widely spaced arms, one
drawn out that apparently has a galaxy on its arm that would fit his
categories for spiral galaxies with high surface brightness companions
on their arms. In this case the red shift of the companion is rather
different so it may not be a true companion but many in these two
categories had redshifts that were quite different from the spiral
galaxy. Though this was likely unknown to Arp at the time. I'm rather
surprised Arp didn't include this one in his atlas of peculiar galaxies.

Thanks to its drawn out arm the galaxy is nearly 150,000 light-years
wide which is very large for a spiral galaxy. The companion is a near
dwarf galaxy at a bit less than 20,000 light-years in diameter. The HST
has taken a few infra red images of the galaxy but I didn't find them
very interesting so didn't process them into an image. If interested
you can look them up on the HST Legacy site http://hla.stsci.edu/ . The
only other galaxy of any size in the image is MCG-02-02-050 which is
hiding behind a foreground in the lower right corner of my image. It
appears to be a spiral galaxy though NED made no attempt to categorize it.

There are 5 quasar candidates in the image identified as UvES in the
annotated image. Also near the top of the image is an anonymous galaxy
from the UK Automatic Plate Measurement survey that looks for all the
world like a faint asteroid trail. I have nothing on it but its position.

This is another example of an image taken on a night of very poor
transparency and not so good seeing. The color data got hit rather
hard, especially the red channel so star colors are highly suspect. I
tried twice to retake the RGB data but due to its rather low (for me)
declination those attempts were not even usable. I had to go with what
I had. This is my first 2013 image. It might be a new year but its the
same old poor imaging conditions. Yet another on the reshoot list!

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC0151L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	4729  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC0151L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	4730
Old September 15th 13, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's a beautiful image. Unfortunately the galaxy is at -9 degrees, so not
for me...

Stefan