ASTRO: Nova Delphini 2013 and 1967

Old August 17th 13, 05:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Nova Delphini 2013 and 1967

Nova Delphini 2013 was discovered on August 14 14:01 UT by Koichi
Itagaki, Yamagata, Japan, using 0.18-m reflector. It was magnitude 6.3.
It rose in brightness hitting about magnitude 4 on the 16th UT. 24
hours later it had faded down again to magnitude 5. The moon is getting
closer and brighter so it is now a difficult naked eye object. The
latest light curve can be found on the AAVSO website:
http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=0...mean=&vme an=
..

It was murky here the night of the 15th UT but I managed 3 color frames
before the murk got too bad. The following night it was near maximum
brightness but before I could get anything the murk did me in. It was
easy naked eye before the gunk got to me. I should have been getting
data rather than looking naked eye but it seems I never look at the sky
any more, just the monitor. It was easy to see with the arrow of
Sagitta pointing right at it. High clouds are a problem again tonight
and with the bright moon nearby conditions will be poor so I decided to
process the three color frames I got on the 15th at about 4:30 UT.

The last nova in Delphinus was in 1967. That one hung around at near
maximum brightness for many weeks. As my log from August through
October shows it actually was brighter at about 4.5 at the end of
October than it was in August when I first learned of it. It was about
one magnitude fainter then. Weather and it being low at sunset blocked
any view after that. I don't find it in notes from 1968. It still
shines about magnitude 13 after taking several years to fade to
thatlevel. Are we seeing the companion it is stealing matter from rather
than the white dwarf that blew? I haven't researched it.

I've included my image from August of 1967 taken from my drive in the
Lincoln, Nebraska. I used a Polaroid camera on the dec axis of my 10"
f/5. That was about as close to digital imaging as you had back in
1967. At least you saw your result nearly immediately. Film was very
slow. The exposure was 10 minutes just to get what I did. Still it
worked well to monitor the nova. I've marked on that image the location
of Nova Delphini 2013 46 years later.

14" LX200R @ f/10, RGB one 10' frame each color, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVADELPHINI2013_RGB1X10.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	562.6 KB
ID:	4702  Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVADELPHINI2013RGB1X10-67.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	4703  Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVADELPHINUS2013_RGB1X10-67CROP.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	4704  Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova_Delphini1967-800c.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	4705
Old August 17th 13, 08:15 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

The image with Nova Delphini 2013's position marked on the Nova Delphini 1967 image was mislabled with both saying 1967. Here's the correct one.
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova_Delphini1967-800c.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	4706
Old August 18th 13, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

thanks for posting. The old nova is a nice addition, good to have the
constellation itself for orientation.

Stefan