Hen 2-449

Old May 26th 13, 06:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Hen 2-449

M2-48/Hen 2-449/PK 062-00 1/PN G062.4-00.2 among other designations is a
small planetary nebula in Vulpecula near the far more famous M27. I
found two very different distance estimates for it, one says 1100 +/-
300 Parsecs (3600 +/- 1000 light-years) and the other says 7160 parsecs
(23,300 light-years). Now that's a discrepancy! Interestingly the
first paper listed many planetary distances from several sources
including the source for the 7160 estimate but left that entry blank!
Apparently they didn't trust it enough to include. So for now its
distance is "still to be determined" as best as I can tell.

More of a mystery is why I imaged it in the first place. I normally
keep good notes about this but drew a complete blank on this one. I
can't even find it in my to-do list yet I took it anyway. I also come
up blank for any amateur images of it on the net. I did file it under
one of its catalog names so knew what I was taking. The why is totally
lost however. So this is a short entry.

I did find a somewhat readable paper on it by some astronomers who knew
why they looked into it.
http://cds.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2002/23/aa2425.pdf

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PK62-01L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	4619  Click image for larger version

Name:	PK62-01L4X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	4620