ASTRO: NGC 40

Old December 10th 12, 10:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 40

NGC 40 is a very red planetary nebula in Cepheus about 3000 to 3500
light-years away. The distance to these objects is hard to pin down.
Papers indicate this nebula is interacting with the interstellar medium
(ISM). It has two jets, a long one to the north and a fainter shorter
one to the south. Many images on the net fail to pick these up which
surprised me. The north arm is bent possibly due to the interaction
with the ISM. See
http://www.aanda.org/index.php?optio.....391..689MFUL
for more on this.

Conditions were horrible for this image. I was able to only use 2 of the
10 minute images and none of the 2 minute images of the bright regions
were usable so they are rather burned in as is the central star. To
better show the jet with limited luminance data I combined the two L
images with one 5 minute one from long ago with the blue and red frames
to make a pseudo luminance image. To show the weak nebulosity in the
area I stretched it beyond reason. This hurt the stars but did allow
some of the background nebulosity to be seen.

14" LX 200R f/10, PSEUDO L=6x10'+1x5' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC40PSEUDOL7X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	474.0 KB
ID:	4392
Old December 24th 12, 10:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I was not aware of the jets, thanks for posting.

Stefan

. com...