ASTRO: UGCA 92 Another few have ever heard of

Old November 26th 12, 09:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: UGCA 92 Another few have ever heard of

UGCA 92 is a member of the highly obscured Maffei group. It is located
in Camelopardalis some 6.5 million light-years away. Distance to these
obscured object is very difficult to determine. This is a very
approximate value In any case it is very nearby. Redshift at such
close distances is useless. In fact it is blue shifted. NED has 6
different distance estimates listed which range from 2.6 to 10.1 million
light-years with a median value of 6.5. It is classed as Im? which is
an irregular of the Magellanic type, maybe. Just not enough is seen
through the gunk.

NED lists 11 other galaxies in my field, none with even magnitude
estimates let alone redshift data. All are from the 2MASS survey.
Looking closely I see far more in the image. Apparently they weren't
bright enough at 2 microns to make the survey. The lack of galaxies is,
of course, due to the heavy extinction in this part of the sky. The
field isn't far from the Heart and Soul Nebulae to give you an idea how
obscured this area is.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=8x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC15439L8X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	4375  Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC15439L8X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	4376
Old November 28th 12, 10:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

you even managed to capture fine detail in this obscured galaxy!

Stefan