ASTRO: Arp 200 in galactic cirrus revisited

Old October 13th 12, 07:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 200 in galactic cirrus revisited

My first attempt at Arp 200 (April 2009) was not all that great so it
went back on the reshoot list. I think this is a great improvement.

Arp 200/NGC 1134 is in Arp's class for galaxies with material ejected
from the nuclei. That left me in the dark as to what he is meaning. Is
it the tidal arm going west or is the the much brighter eastern arm.
Then I read his comment which really is confusing: "Splash appearance on
western side of galaxy points to low surface brightness companion 7'
south." That seems to refer to the tidal arm coming off the
northwestern end but it doesn't point south but to the west north west.
The galaxy to the south is not IC 0267 which is not low surface
brightness and is 10 minutes south not 7. But the tidal plume does sort
of point to UGC 02362 which is 7 minutes west (I said east by error in
the first post) and is a low surface brightness galaxy that does appear
possibly highly disturbed as if it did interact with NGC 1134. So I'm
going to assume Arp got his directions 90 degrees off (while I was 180
off in my first post!). I've since confirmed with Jeff Kanipe that
indeed Arp got his directions wrong. He puts a little triangle in the
border of the north side of a galaxy. But he put the little wedge along
the eastern side then wrote his comment assuming that was the northern
side. Before this I'd never noticed that wedge or realized its
significance when I did see it. Jeff agrees he was referring to the
plume going to the west.

I found nothing much on these galaxies indicating whether they were
interacting or not. So I'll just say it seems likely but I've been
doing this long enough to know that what seems to be the case can be
very wrong.

Arp 200 is classed by NED as simply S? and as S by the NGC project. It
would seem the plume should give it a peculiar label but that isn't the
case. Though it doesn't show in the POSS 1 red plate the NGC project
uses. It is listed in the 2MASS catalog so is IR strong. Another
indication of possible interaction.

Just under the plume is a fuzzy patch. Is it part of the plume or
another galaxy. I found no answer or even a hint of an answer so it
remains a big question mark to me.

UGC 02362 is classed as a Magellanic class irregular galaxy. If it
interacted with NGC 1134 it may be more irregular than it was but I
doubt any interaction caused its irregular condition. It may however
triggered the strong star formation that is currently going on it it
judging by its blue color and the fact it is listed in the 2MASS survey
indicating strong IR emission hidden behind dust. Another indication of
strong star new star formation.

IC 0267 is classed as (R')SB(s)b by NED. That appears quite reasonable.
It too is an IR galaxy in the 2Mass catalog though I see no visible
signs of interaction. Nor is any needed to create an IR strong or even
starburst galaxy.

This trio of galaxies carry about the same redshift. All showing a
distance of about 155 million light-years. NED shows no redshift data
for any other galaxy in the image. There is an interesting looking pair
of galaxies northwest of UGC 02362. The brighter is LEDA 213115 which
also is in the 2MASS catalog. Though its close apparent companion is
not in NED at all. Is it a true companion or just a line of sight
galaxy? I have no idea.

What few other galaxies are listed in NED are all from the 2MASS survey
with most being anonymous.

I wasn't going to prepare an annotated image but there are four
asteroids in the image, two moving so slowly right at the point of
moving from retrograde to prograde motion that they would be impossible
to point out otherwise. Their names and magnitudes are on the annotated
image so I won't repeat that here.

The field is in some faint galactic cirrus. It was so faint it didn't
show on the color filtered frames. I don't see this cirrus on any
internet image of the field I found. So at first I thought it due to a
bad flat or gradient from some unknown source. But when I stretched the
original frames from 2009 taken with a different camera orientation I
could match up the brightest patches perfectly so it is real. It would
take a much longer exposure and a much wider field of view than mine to
really bring it out.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC1134L4X10RGB2X102D2.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	4312  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC1134L4X10RGB2X102D2-ID.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	4313  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC1134L4X10RGB2X102D2-CROP125.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	4314
Old October 13th 12, 07:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I did it again and grabbed the wrong enlarged image. Here's the right one.

Rick

On 10/13/2012 1:45 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP200-NGC1134L4X10RGB2X102D3-CROP125.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	4315
Old October 24th 12, 07:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

great detail in these small galaxies.
"Fortunately" my city skies don't allow for galactic cirrus, so I can't get
confused thinking that my flats didn't work :-)

Stefan

.com...