ASTRO: Lost in Hard Drive Space; The Cone Nebula in LRGB

Old April 26th 12, 08:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Lost in Hard Drive Space; The Cone Nebula in LRGB

Each time I clean the hard drive I find old files that have been lost,
misplaced and forgotten. This one dates back several years. It was
taken with my old filters that had nasty blue halos even on red stars.
Not knowing how to deal with them in this image I seem to have filed it
in an obscure folder and it was gone. I really should redo this one
with far more time and with my new filters that don't have the halo
problem. But with this winter's horrid weather that didn't happen.
I'll have to go with this salvaged image.

The Cone Nebula is part of a larger nebula involved with a star cluster.
The combination is known as NGC 2264. The cluster, most of which is
outside this image is sometimes known as the Christmas Tree Cluster due
to its shape. The combination is thought to be about 2500 light years
away. It is located in the constellation of Monoceros which is a unicorn.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2264L4X10RGB2X10R2a.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	4058  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2264L4X10RGB2X10R2a-67.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	4059  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2264L4X10RGB2X10R2a-67CROP.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	4060