ASTRO: NGC 4214

Old April 24th 12, 07:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 4214

NGC 4214 is a nearby dwarf galaxy in Canes Venatici with massive star
formation regions per the Hubble Space Telescope images of this galaxy.
None showed up in my LRGB image. Another I should have used H alpha
on apparently. Nor do they show in the Sloan survey image of this
galaxy. Being close redshift data is highly unreliable. It gives a
distance of about 25 million light-years. 10 to 13 million light-years
seems more reasonable given the resolution of details that can be seen
in it. Also this is about the average of modern Tully-Fisher and Red
Giant Branch measurements. Assuming a distance of 10 million light-years
its diameter would be about 23,000 light-years. It is classed by NED as
IAB(s)m and Irr III-IV by the NGC project

It is also known as NGC 4228. Seems John Herschel managed to get the RA
one minute wrong one pass and later go it right. This resulted in the
two numbers. The 4214 entry was the correct one in case you were wondering.

To the southwest is UGCA 276. While its redshift is the same as that of
NGC 4228 I assume it is more likely at about the same distance as NGC
4214 as its non redshift based measurements are about the same as those
for NGC 4214. NED classes it simply as Im: It is likely
gravitationally bound to NGC 4214.

I've prepared my usual annotated version of the image. As in the past,
I accidentally ran across some galaxies not in NED that should be.
Usually these are blue but not this time. Also I found far more than
usual. Those totally absent from NED are marked with a gray question
mark. A couple were picked up by the 2MASS survey but were not included
in NED's version of the Sloan survey even though they should have been.
These are marked with a green question mark. Again, I didn't go
looking for these. I just noticed them while looking up ones nearby
that were in the data base. How many more were missed I haven't a clue.
Apparently the automatic algorithm that is used to pick these up
failed somehow.

Two galaxy clusters are in the image. WHL J121610.0+362836 at 3.6
billion light-years is to the northeast of NGCV 4214. The anchor
galaxy's position is the same as that of the cluster but NED only had
redshift data on the cluster. It is small containing only 6 galaxies.
No size was given. The other is GMBCG J184.02151+36.15300 at 4.4
billion light-years. Here the Big Cluster Galaxy's redshift matches
that given for the cluster. It is nearly directly south of the first
cluster at the very bottom of my image. I moved the label off to the
side so as not hide a few possible cluster members. The cluster is
listed as having 39 members but again no diameter is given for the
cluster's size.

The image contains more very distant galaxies than usual with nearly all
being over 1 billion light-years away with a couple over 5 billion
light-years away. Quasars are even further of course.

HST info
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...eases/2011/14/

This is my last February, 2011 image. Moving to March!

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4214L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	4055  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4214L4X10RGB2X10X3ID.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	4056  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4214L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP150.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	4057
Old May 2nd 12, 08:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Mighty image Rick.
I don't think I have ever seen such a good image of this galaxy.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. com...
[...]

ASTRO: NGC 4214 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 4 April 28th 07 01:34 PM
Daily # 4214 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 October 6th 06 06:25 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 May 3rd 06 12:33 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] SETI 0 October 6th 05 02:34 AM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 September 30th 04 02:23 AM