ASTRO: NGC 6814

Old October 18th 11, 05:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 6814

NGC 6814 is a face on spiral galaxy about 60 million light-years away in
the southern Aquila. Not a constellation that jumps to mind when
galaxies are mentioned. I no longer remember what caused me to put it
on the to-do list nor did I leave any useful notes in this regard. NED
classes it as SAB(rs)bc with HII emission and a Seyfert galaxy. Various
sources disagree as to what class of Seyfert it is. NED say 1.2, notes
say 1, 1.5 and 2. The NGC project on the other hand classes it as Sb+
I, I don't understand the I at all. NED sees a bar but the NGC project
doesn't. Who do you believe? I'm hard pressed to see a bar but many
notes indicate it has a short wide one buried in the bright oval core.
In any case the many spiral arms don't seem related to the core at all.
They seem to just start at random somewhere near the core then get
bright as they move out beyond the end of the oval core region.

This one is at -10 degrees declination which puts it in my summer gunk
so the image isn't as clear as I'd like. It's rare to get decent seeing
in this part of the sky from my location. Temperature difference
between the warm water and rising water vapor and the cool night air
make for some poor seeing conditions as well as transparency.

There are no other galaxies in the image that NED has any distance data
for and only a few are even identified. All that are are IR galaxies
from the 2MASS survey. For this reason I didn't prepare an annotated
image. There are two asteroids in the image, both above NGC 6814. The
easiest to spot is near the top right of center and is a short streak
with a hint of red at the lower left end and a hint of blue at the upper
right end. Nothing was bright enough in the luminance image for the any
part of the green trace to show up. It would be beyond the red as I
took the data blue, luminance, red and green. Thus the asteroid is in
direct prograde motion. It's rare for me to catch one in this part of
its yearly path. It is (12508) 1998 FZ113 at magnitude 17.2. The other
asteroid is down and to the left of the first and very hard to spot as
its trail is only 3.8" of arc long. In is rather alone between stars
directly above the left edge of the bright portion of NGC 6814's arms
two thirds of the way to the top. It is in retrograde motion but and
moving down at a 45 degree angle (left to right). I must have caught it
just after it reversed into retrograde motion for it to be moving so
slowly in the sky. It is (44504) 1998 XX34 and is estimated to be 18.3
magnitude.

Cropped image enlarged to 0.67" per pixel from its native 1" per pixel.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6814L4X10RGB2X10R1.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	498.2 KB
ID:	3776  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6814L4X10RGB2X10R1CROP150.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	3777
Old October 18th 11, 10:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image Rick.
This is not an easy target with it's southern declination.

Stefan

.com...