ASTRO: IC 14710

Old August 16th 11, 06:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 14710

Astronomers have created quite a Tower of Babel when it comes to
designating objects. Most carry a lot of different catalog
designations. Major objects are in major catalogs and those are the
"names" usually used. When it comes to the lesser known objects it is
more confusing. For instance today's post features IC 1470. Not a
commonly imaged IC object, few would recognize the designation. Nor
does that help tell what type of object it is as the IC catalog covers
every type of visible light object. It is also known as Sh2-156. This
is more helpful as these are all nebula, usually ones with strong H
alpha emission (reddish-pink in most "real" color images).

Here I must confess the Tower or Babel reached out and bit me. In June
of 2010 I posted Sh2-156 and other nebula in the field. Also on my list
to image was IC 1470. Yes, they are one and the same, but when you are
imaging these months apart and they come from two different lists you
checked for duplicates by name but not by Tower of Babel standards this
happens. It was only after I finished processing it I realized it
looked awfully familiar. But I do have a year's more experience
processing images and the colors are better on the new version. Since
the camera was rotated differently I didn't combine the data as it would
have limited the field. I could have just gone on to the next object
but I went to the work to process it so here it is. Rather than redo
the text I'm just rerunning that. Also I'm reusing the annotated image
so you can see the old processing as well as the new. It was done at
lower resolution to preserve band width since all objects are quite
large, unlike many of my galaxy images where they are only a few pixels
in size in some cases.

To illustrate the designation problem here are some of the other
designations for IC 1470:
GPSR 110.109+0.047
SH 2-156
[WWB83] G110.11+0.05
EQ 2303+5958
IRAS 23030+5958
WB89 240
GAL 110.11+00.04
IRCO 838
[KC97c] G110.1+00.0
GAL 110.11+00.05
KR 72
[L89b] 110.106+00.044
2MASX J23050983+6014560
TXS 2303+599
87GB 230304.2+595825
87GB[BWE91] 2303+5958
[WB92] 2303+5958
NVSS J230510+601438
[ZHB90] G110.109+00.047
[GMT2008] IR 23030

Besides the IC 1470 entry the only other duplicate at both NED and
Simbad was [KC97c] G110.1+00.0! All the rest are found at only one of
the two sources. A Tower of Babel indeed.

Sh2-156 is also IC 1470 (That statement alone should have caused me to
remove IC 1470 from the list but I was too dense it seems). Galaxy Map
is normally a good source for info on these but it seems confused. It
gives a distance of precisely 4891 parsecs (15,300 light years) then
says it is estimated to be 3500 to 4000 parsecs away (11,400 to 13000
light years). Then goes on to say it is part of the star cluster NGC
7510. Huh? The cluster is about 8 tenths of a degree northeast of the
nebula and about 10,000 light years distant. Parts of Sharpless 2-157
(8000 light years) do extend into the field with NGC 7510 but certainly
Sh2-156 does not.

There are many other fuzz patches in the field. SIMBAD only identified
the brighter ones. I've prepared an annotated image of these. Most carry
very unfamiliar designations. The BF catalog is one of HII regions, GN
is a reflection nebula catalog. BDS denotes a star cluster. One small
fuzz patch that is HII to the south and reflection to the north was
centered on the position of an IR source found by IRAS. I don't know if
the nebula is the optical counterpart to what IRAS was seeing or not. If
so IRAS probably was looking at new stars buried in dust and gas that
don't show visually. Some of the HII regions come through blue in my
image. I'm guessing they have a reflection component as well as HII and
my chip, being rather red insensitive, is seeing the reflection part
better than the HII.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL=11000XM, Paramount ME (first
version only had one green and one blue frame but two red frames)

I took this on August 9, 2010 so am again over a year behind.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1470-SH2-156LUM4X10RGB2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	3679  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1470-SH2-156LUM4X10RGB2X10X3R-CROP.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	3680  Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-156L4X10R2X10X3GB1X10X3-id.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	3681