ASTRO: Arp 5 Weird dwarf galaxies and stars

Old April 6th 11, 08:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 5 Weird dwarf galaxies and stars

Arp 5/NGC 3664 is in southwestern Leo, 80 light-years distant. Arp put
it in his category for low surface brightness spirals. Arp had no
comment on this one. He also apparently missed NGC 3664A about 6.5
minutes to the south. It too is very weird. Red shifts of the two are
nearly identical. All the literature I've seen say they are interacting
and the cause of the severe distortion both show. Assuming they are
both at the same distance their separation is only about 140 thousand
light years. These aren't very big galaxies.

Arp 5 is classed as SB(s)m pec while the companion NGC 3664A is listed
as (R)SB(s)m: It looks more like a train wreck to me. Though one piece
of the mess turns out to be a 19.7th magnitude asteroid trail. Just to
the NE of the trail is a red spot among the blue. That is another
galaxy SDSS J112426.03+031315.3, distance unknown but likely far beyond
NGC 3664A. So it isn't quite as weird as it first appears. Still it is
pretty torn up.

There are three other asteroids in the image including the "brilliant
15.8 magnitude Deflotte. It was discovered in 1933 but has no naming
citation so I don't know the source of the name. All are marked on the
annotated image.

Sorry about the stars. Tube currents due to no time to let the scope
settle before clouds were due to roll in. So I started imaging as soon
as I could open the roof, which was delayed by rain. I hoped I'd get
back and redo the L frames but never happened so processed these. There
are ways of fixing this but they are time consuming so just went with
the triangular stars due to tube currents. The brilliant star at the
very left edge of my frame is SAO 118847 a magnitude 7, A2 star. So
while it is super bright in my image it is fainter than can be seen by
most with the naked eye even under very dark skies.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level.../big_arp5.jpeg

Sloan image
http://astronomerica.awardspace.com/...GC3664-64A.php

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP005L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	3459  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP005L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	3460  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP005L4X10RGB2X10X3r-CROP150.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	3461
Old April 27th 11, 08:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

breathtaking image, I instantly wanted to put it on my list, but it was
already there :-)
In spite of a scale of "only" 1"/pixel you manage to get a level of detail
that rivals anything I have seen in the amateur sector.

Stefan

ter.com...