ASTRO: Arp 334

Old April 3rd 11, 01:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 334

Arp 334 is located in the constellation of Canes Venatici at about 340
million light-years. Arp put it in his Miscellaneous class. His note
gives no mention of why he thought it worthy of his atlas. His note
simply notes that the second star to the south is not quite stellar.
That's even more obvious in my image. Arp 334 is otherwise known as UGC
8498 and is classed as Sb at NED. It has some faint tidal spray and an
apparent hole in its disk in the area of the southern galaxy. Are the
two related? Wish I knew. The nearly stellar galaxy is SDSS
J133025.68+313617.6. But the survey didn't take any redshift data on it
so no way to know its approximate distance. Something apparently
disturbed Arp 334 and it is as good a candidate for the mugging as any
in the area.

There are several small galaxy clusters in the image and one huge one.
The huge one is Abell 1752 which is labeled at the top left of my image.
The label marks the center. It is listed as having a diameter of 52
minutes so would cover much of my image. No galaxy count or distance is
given. The most obvious galaxy cluster in the image is GHO 1328+3157 a
cluster of 24 galaxies with a distance of 2.6 billion light-years. I've
marked its center as GC followed by its distance. Note the center seems
a bit southwest of the core region and the anchor galaxy. The
Kanipe-Webb book on the Arp Atlas considers this group part of Abell 1752.

The galaxy that appears to be in the densest part of the GHO 1328+3157
galaxy cluster is 2MASX J13302928+3141354. It is listed as a Bright
Cluster Galaxy rather than cD. Also its redshift seems to put it
somewhat further away than the listed distance to the cluster. NED
shows a red shift that puts it 3.1 billion light years distant, about a
half billion further than the cluster estimate. That seems a large
discrepancy. Maybe the estimated cluster distance has a problem. The
galaxy is the reddest I can recall imaging.

To the southwest of Arp 334 is the galaxy cluster candidate, NSC
J133008+313012 at 2.4 billion light years. No size is given. It has
the label GCC marking its center position.

Another candidate cluster, this time at 2.6 billion light years is
located north and a bit east of Arp 334. Again, the label GCC marks its
center coordinates.

Yet another galaxy cluster is shown at NED due west of Arp 334. It is
NSCS J132936+313646 and has no distance, size or diameter given. There
appears to be a small tight group of galaxies just east of the position.
I'd cover up the galaxies if the label were centered on the center so
it is immediately west of the label in this case which reads simply "GC
?" due to no distance being given.

On the eastern edge of my image just below center is a galaxy and galaxy
cluster with the same coordinates. The cluster is MaxBCG
J202.95428+31.57728 and is listed at 2.6 billion light-years while the
"Bright Cluster Galaxy" is 2MASX J13314900+3134377 at 2.5 billion
light-years. That position is marked with "G/GC" for the label.

While looking up information for my annotated image I again came across
a galaxy not in NED. It is southwest of Arp 334 and is marked by a "?"
Just above it is a fainter galaxy. That one is SDSS
J133006.12+312859.0 with no distance given. The third object is a star.
So why is the fainter galaxy included but not the brighter? I keep
running across these. Many more probably exist in the image, just that
this one happened to interest me so looked it up specifically and found
it wasn't there. I suppose with the millions of SDSS galaxies cataloged
it isn't surprising a few get lost.

Arp's image with south up is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp334.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP334L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	3448  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP334L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	3449  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP334L4X10RGB2X10X3r-CROP150.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	3450  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS-ARP334.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3451
Old April 5th 11, 07:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

at first look I thought this was M106 through a small scope ;-)
But this one is more distorted than M106.

Stefan

ster.com...