ASTRO: Arp 198 -- Arp's Mistake

Old March 25th 11, 06:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 198 -- Arp's Mistake

Arp 198 is one Arp misunderstood. He classed it under "Galaxies:
Material ejected from Nuclei." His note indicates he saw this one as a
spiral with a huge spike when he says; "Spike points toward small
nucleus; no spectra available [subsequently determined redshifts were
consistent]." In fact this is two separate galaxies, both spirals, one
face on that is in front of an edge on spiral hiding much of the eastern
side of the core (which is visible in the POSS 2 IR plate). I would
have thought this rather obvious even in monochromatic images.
Apparently not. Today's color images, like mine, make this very obvious.

Arp 198 is located in central Leo at a distance of about 414 to 420
million light-years depending on whose redshift data you use. Sloan
says 420 The face on spiral is UGC 6073b and VV 267a and is classed
simply as a spiral. The edge on is UGC 6073a and VV 267b which is
classed as S?.

I see no indication these are interacting. I find only one redshift
listed for the face on spiral which is the 414 million light-year
figure. The same source puts the edge on at 415 but the Sloan survey
says 420 million light-years. In any case these support the idea the
face on is well in front of the edge on. While they are members of the
same group they aren't interacting. They may in the future depending on
their relative motion.

On the eastern edge of my image is NGC 3487/UGC 6092 at the same
distance as Arp 198. It forms a pair with UGC 6092a a bit further east
according to the CGCG catalog. A note says that this pair forms a
triplet with Arp 198. Oddly the CGCG catalog considers Arp 198 as a
pair of galaxies. So shouldn't they say a quadruplet? Or does that
note date back to Arp's time when he may have thought Arp 198 as one galaxy?

Yet again, a rather bright blue galaxy fails to get into the Sloan
catalog. In this case it does make a plate survey list as MAPS-NGP
O_432_0343905. Why Sloan and other more major catalogs passed it over
(at least as recorded at NED) I can't fathom. Since no one has
apparently looked at it there's not much useful information on it. I've
marked it with a ? to the southwest of Arp 198.

Many other interesting galaxies lack redshift data in this image that
I'd like to know about. This is the best NED can do however.

There are three asteroids in the image that survived processing. A
fourth was seen on the FITS but once color data was added was extremely
hard to see. I cheated and increased its brightness some. The
asteroids a

(116629) 2004 BD122 magnitude 18.7
2010 ED104 magnitude 20.2
2008 WF12 magnitude 20.4
2008 UW352 magnitude 20.7 (brightened slightly to increase
visibility)

Asteroids get a number after being recovered after having a good orbital
determination for one full orbit. Thus three of these have yet to
complete one orbit since discovery.

I had two nasty spikes caused by something on my filters. The lower one
was both on the luminance and red filters while the upper right one was
only on the luminance filters and faded over the course of the 4 frames.
Apparently this was a light fog of some sort on the filters that was
very localized. Never saw it like this before, especially on two
filters exactly the same. That is very weird. I didn't try to process
this out as when I have in the past it has looked worse than leaving
them in. I did tone down the red color of that spike however.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp198.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10, RGB=2x10x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP198L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	3435  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP198L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	3436  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP198L4X10RGB2X10X3-CROP150.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	3437  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS_ARP198.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	3438
Old March 26th 11, 06:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

And my mistake. See I identified a galaxy as a quasar. Oops.
Corrected annotated image.

Views:	178
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	3439
Old April 5th 11, 07:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

great image, you have a very detailed view of this "pair", but I'd still
wish they were ten times larger. That would be spectacular...

Stefan

ster.com...

Old April 5th 11, 10:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Convince the folks at Hubble to image it and you'll get your wish!

I had one person email me saying it was a lollipop on a stick.

Rick

On 4/5/2011 1:29 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick,

great image, you have a very detailed view of this "pair", but I'd still
wish they were ten times larger. That would be spectacular...

Stefan

"Rick schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ster.com...
[...]

Is this a mistake? Joe Snodgrass Astronomy Misc 9 November 16th 10 12:07 AM
ASTRO: NGC 7822 - Herschel didn't make a mistake. glen youman Astro Pictures 9 July 24th 10 01:39 PM
mistake Starlord Amateur Astronomy 5 August 5th 07 08:00 PM
Arp's Picture that Wont Go Away [email protected]. Misc 3 February 2nd 07 09:05 PM
Does Arp's Picture disprove the Big Bang? [email protected]. Misc 3 February 2nd 07 02:39 AM