ASTRO: Arp 197

Old March 21st 11, 06:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 197

Arp 197 is a pair, maybe trio, of galaxies in western Leo nearly 300
million light-years distant. Arp put them in his class galaxies with
material ejected from nuclei. His comment reads: "Straight filament off
one end of bar, kink at end of filament." The pair Arp saw is known as
UGC 6503, a galaxy pair. The big galaxy is IC 701 and is the only one
with red shift distance. The other galaxy in the pair, if it is a pair,
is the round galaxy just left of the tip of the filament. Besides being
UGC 6503 NED 02 it carries the separate designation of SDSS
J113103.26+202831.7. IC 701 is classed as SB(rs)dm pec so is a barred
spiral which is quite obvious from my image.

While Arp puts it in his category of material ejected from the nucleus
it is quite obvious the filament comes off the end of the bar not the
core of the galaxy. The filament fades out and then reappears a bit to
the east of the track it had been on before fading down. When it starts
up again it passes by SDSS J113103.26+202831.7 as if not being bothered
by its gravity and then has a very small bright blue knot before
continuing on a few more seconds of arc. The SDSS considers this a
separate galaxy, hence my comment it might be a trio. It is identified
as SDSS J113103.14+202837.3.

Without any red shift data on either of these two objects its hard to
say what is going on here. I really doubt that UGC 6503 NED 02/SDSS
J113103.26+202831.7 is involved at all with IC 701 even though it is
considered to be a pair with the IC galaxy. It shows no hint of
distortion yet is far smaller so should be more bothered. Actually,
except for the filament IC 701 is rather normal looking. So what is
going on here. Wish I had a glimmer. I can't find any papers that
really shed much light on this. Is the blob at the far end of the
filament a separate galaxy or just a knot in a filament? If part of the
filament what caused it in the first place. There seems no candidate
around. Could the filament and the knot be the remains of a dwarf
galaxy that passed IC 701 and got torn apart into the filament in the
process? If so why is IC 701 rather normal looking but for this
filament? Lots of questions but no answers I could find. But there may
be a candidate. Unfortunately I didn't know about it at the time I took
the image. I should research before imaging rather than after. It is
almost due east of Arp 197 just out of my frame. It is a nice barred
spiral known as UGC 06525 and classed as (R)SB(r)b:. It shows some
distortion of its arms, especially the northern one. Having a red shift
that puts it only 4 million light-years closer than Arp 197 it is
certainly related and maybe involved though I tend to doubt it's
involvement. While I didn't capture it I've included the SDSS image of it.

The galaxy south of Arp 197 has a red shift that puts it 210 million
light-years distant. So doesn't seem involved. It is KUG 1128+207A, an
Sc edge on spiral for those keeping a score card. Further south near
the bottom of the frame is CGCG 126-075. a barred spiral. I moved Arp
197 high to capture it as it appeared interesting. But now that I found
redshift data on it we know it isn't involved. In fact it is related to
KUG 1128+207A as both have almost exactly the same redshift.

Northeast of Arp 197 is a cute pair of galaxies, MCG +04-27-055.
Unfortunately there's no redshift data on them. Are they a true pair?
Are they interacting? More unanswered questions.

You probably noticed the group of distant galaxies in the upper right
corner of my image. This is the Abell galaxy cluster 1278. It is
listed with a diameter of 30 minutes of arc though most are in a smaller
area. The label marks the center of the group as defined at NED. It is
listed at 1.65 billion light-years

There's not much redshift data on this field. What there is I've shown
on the annotated image. Lots of interesting galaxies aren't labeled
with distance due to this lack of data.

There are 4 asteroids in the image. They too are noted on the annotated
image. While the Minor Planet Center shows their estimated magnitudes
range from 19.2 to 20.4 they all appear virtually the same brightness in
my image. Apparently their magnitude estimates aren't all that accurate.

(236266) 2005 YS181 magnitude 19.3
(242571) 2005 EQ330 magnitude 19.9
(59458) 1999 GM41 magnitude 19.2
(77687) 2001 NT6 magnitude 20.4

Star shapes are rather odd. This night started out rainy so I didn't
open up the observatory. Suddenly the clouds parted and seeing was
quite good but the tube hadn't had time to come to temperature. Not
wanting to lose any more imaging time than necessary I rushed the
cooldown time and paid for it in tube currents in the first two L
images. The last two were pretty good but the first lousy and second
fair. This is the result. They didn't seem to harm the image of the
galaxy but sure did the brighter stars.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp197.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10 RGB=2x10x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP197L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	3426  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP197L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	3427  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP197L4X10RGB2X10X3-CROP150.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	3428  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS_ARP197.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	3429  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS_UGC06525.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	3430

Old April 5th 11, 07:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

quite a collection of small but detailed galaxies...

Stefan

ster.com...