ASTRO: Arp 338 Bet you never have seen this one before

Old March 9th 11, 07:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 338 Bet you never have seen this one before

Arp 338 is likely the most obscure of all entries in Arp's atlas. It is
also the very last entry (not my last to image however -- far from it in
fact). It is, however, the only one NED lists only by its Arp number.
It is in none of the other catalogs NED has entered into its database.
Arp 338 falls into Arp's miscellaneous class. It is located in southern
Sextans. Distance is a bit uncertain. More on this in a bit. Even
though the area is rich in galaxies, the Sloan survey doesn't cover this
area. Nor could I find one paper discussing it other than one that
lists it simply as one of Arp's peculiar galaxies and another that
indicates it appears similar to one the paper is really about. So I'm
coming up blank on this one.

The Sky 6 however does list it as PGC 154807 but doesn't list it under
Arp 338. The bar like feature has a separate listing PGC 3094767. NED
does list the bar as 2MASX J10105859-0755016. I find a few references
to Arp 338 being a double galaxy. But the way they read it seems they
are not seeing the bar as the second galaxy. Most see the very blue
galaxy to the southwest as the one it is paired with. The Sky 6 says it
is PGC 1010862. Arp was careful to include it in his image.

To me the bar is a separate galaxy as the 2MASX entry suggests. It
certainly is an IR source to be in that catalog and its coordinates
match the golden core of the bar, not the main face on galaxy. Also the
bar seems to be a bit blue well away from its center just like a typical
spiral galaxy would. Only problem is a lack of a dust lane you'd expect
from such an edge on view. The 2MASX catalog does give a red shift of a
bit over 700 million light years for the core of the bar. Is that also
the distance to the other galaxy? No way to know. What about the blue
galaxy? There's no distance data for it either. In fact it isn't in
NED's database at all!

There appears to be a pair of interacting galaxies to the northwest of
Arp 338. They appear to share a common envelope. The upper left one is
in NED but with no redshift. The other one isn't in NED's database. In
fact most of the galaxies in this image aren't listed in NED's database.
Only a very few have redshift data. All appear at about the same
distance as the bar in Arp 338. If the bar is a separate galaxy in
front of the other one then that one would be further away, how much
further is unknown.

Normally in an image of an Arp galaxy NED will identify several thousand
galaxies. So few were identified in this field I've noted each and
every one by name and by distance when available. That's how little
there is on this entire field.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp338.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP338L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	3399  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP338L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	3400  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP338L4X10RGB2X10X3-CROP150.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	3401

Old March 16th 11, 08:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

the bar is a strange feature indeed...
And I confirm not having seen this one before ;-)

Stefan

ster.com...

Old March 17th 11, 04:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I should have called this one "The Big Grin" as it looks like it is
putting on a huge grin right at us.

Rick

On 3/16/2011 3:39 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick,

the bar is a strange feature indeed...
And I confirm not having seen this one before ;-)

Stefan

ster.com...