ASTRO: Arp 179 has an identity crises

Old December 16th 10, 08:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 179 has an identity crises

Arp's purpose in putting together his atlas was to help show the need to
understand what is going on in peculiar galaxies. This has happened in
general. We have a much better, though still flawed, understanding of
how galaxies get their peculiar features. But not all of his galaxies
have been studied in any detail. This is one of the ignored ones it
would seem.

Arp 179 is the object in the center of my image. Of that I'm certain.
But what other catalog names it has is totally scrambled. Each source
claims the others are wrong and they don't begin to agree. More on that
in a bit. First I'll go with what we do know.

Arp classified this one under Galaxies (not classifiable as S or E):
Narrow filaments. The class preceding it is narrow counter-tails. I'm
not sure of the distinction. Arp's comment on it is "Condensed offset
center." Looks more like a galaxy with a tidal plume to me but we know
a lot more about such features than was known when Arp put this atlas
together. The galaxy is located in the northwestern corner of the
constellation Eridanus not far from M77 (Arp 37).

After this things get muddled but good. If you ask NED what galaxy is
Arp 179 it will take you to a different galaxy. It is in the cropped
image. It is the one west and a bit north of the real Arp 179. It lies
between an orange star to its lower left and a pair of white and blue
stars to its upper right. This galaxy NED says is NPM1G -04.0134 as
well as LEDA 175747 and, of course Arp 179. The Kanipe/Webb book on the
Arp Atlas says Arp 179 is NPM1G -04.0134 but points to the right galaxy.
To find the real Arp 179 you have to tell NED to go to PGC 11432 or
NPM1G -04.0135. Kanipe/Webb say PGC 11432 is an incorrect
identification of Arp 179. So I checked The Sky's database. It agrees
with NED saying it is PGC 11432 and goes to the correct location for the
real Arp 179. It says LEDA 175747 is the galaxy between the two stars
that NED says is Arp 179. SIMBAD goes to the right location when you
ask it to take you to Arp 179 and says it is LEDA 11432. It uses LEDA
as the prefix for PGC galaxies so agrees it is PGC 11432. It says the
galaxy between the two stars is LEDA 175747/NPM1G -04.0134 same as NED.

So I'm going to say Kanipe and Webb may have this one wrong due to NED
saying LEDA 175747/NPM1G -04.0134 is the same as Arp 179 but using the
wrong galaxy for Arp 179. So I'll use the data for PGC 11432/NPM1G
-04.0135 for Arp 179. NED has no classification for it but does show a
redshift distance of 193 million light years. It is also listed as 2MASX
J03020046-0441257 so is an IR strong galaxy. A good indication of a
past interaction that is creating a lot of hidden star creation probably
in or near its core. The other galaxy, the pseudo Arp 179, I'll call it
LEDA 175474, is also listed by NED to be an IR source. But no distance
data is available. Could they be related? No way to know
unfortunately. It isn't distorted so I doubt it created the plume. It
appears to be to likely be far more distant but without more data that
is only a very poorly supported guess.

Arp 179 is the only galaxy in my image with red shift data. What
created the plume? I could find no obvious candidates within 3 degrees.
Only 2 galaxies at about the right distance were turned up in NED
within a 3 degree radius. MRK 1065 44 minutes away and KUG 0306-026 at
167 minutes. MRK 1065 is a SB0 galaxy noted as peculiar. I really
didn't see much to indicate an interaction in the DSS plates however. I
suppose the plume could be the result of a merger. I found nothing to
support this guess nor negate it either.

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp179.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP179L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	3258  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP179L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP150.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	3259
Old December 18th 10, 10:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's a cute galaxy in spite of it's identity crisis.

Stefan

ter.com...