Sh-146 reprocessed

Old August 16th 10, 10:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Sh-146 reprocessed

I decided to redo this one to see if I could do something about the
halos. In doing so I found a note "check 11th frame--bumped scope
plugging in dew heater". I do recall the alarm going off saying it had
stopped drawing power. That usually means the cigarette lighter plug
has pulled worked lose again. I vaguely remember the incident. Yep,
frame 11 was horrid and since I did a pure average combine (didn't
dither, besides that costs me asteroids which I like so I rarely do a
noise reduction combine. Should have this time it appears. I redid it
this time with Sigma Reject as there were no asteroids and the
elimination of frame 11 just to be safe. This helped the halo problem
as well as the loss of the dew heater seems to have added to the halo
problem and that was mostly on frame 11. What was on the others was
eliminated by the combine. Still have the gunk but think this a major
improvement.

Other than going from 12 to 11 frames the data on the original post is good.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-146L11X10RGB2X20X3.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	3085  Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-146L11X10RGB2X20X3CROP150.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3086
Old August 17th 10, 05:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Much better - not as saturated and has more detail.

Old August 17th 10, 07:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Even with only one bad frame it is amazing what it can do to a stack
with average combine! Beside the bump the corrector dew made a total
mess of that frame. Doing this 8 months after it was taken I totally
forgot about that bad frame. Usually I move them to a "Reject" folder
but just wrote the note, something I never do. Still can't figure out
why. I used the same RGB image for color so the saturation was the
same. Also I used the same set of curves to process the L image. Only
difference was the missing 11th frame and since 10 had a bit of dew I
used sigma reject for the stack. That did reduce the glare around the
brighter stars over an average stack.

Rick

Old August 22nd 10, 01:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

pretty nice looking monkey knot Rick

I didn't know this object before you introduced it to me.

nice

. com...