ASTRO: Arp 295 a Zwicky connected system

Old July 11th 10, 09:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 295 a Zwicky connected system

Arp 295 is another Zwicky connected pair of galaxies. The southern one
is MCG -04-60-021 which is classed as Sc? pec and is a possibly LINER
galaxy. The northern component is MCG-01-60-022 and classed as Sb pec.
The really weird thing about it I don't see mentioned anyplace. That
is its western half is brighter than the eastern. It seems to have a
very sudden change of intensity running nearly vertically but slightly
northeast to southwest right through the core. Very weird. The pair is
located in the northeastern corner of Aquarius just across the border
from Pisces.

The distance to this pair is a bit difficult to pin down. Since they
are obviously connected they are at the same distance yet their red
shifts denoting relative velocity as well as distance are quite
different. By redshift the southern galaxy is 284 million light years
away while the northern is 301. Most of the other "major" galaxies in
the image have red shifts of about 280 to 295 million light years so it
is likely this is about the correct distance to these two as well. IC
1505, the large elliptical like galaxy to the northwest has a red shift
distance of 281 million light years. About all I find on it is are
several comments that it is NOT Arp 295 as some authorities apparently
claim. 2MASX J23420451-0334508 the spiral above the northern component
of Arp 295 is at 296 million light years.

There are three small galaxies directly west of the southern component.
The faintest and furthest west is GALEX 2502913013803127866 an X ray
galaxy at 291 million light years. The middle one is APMUKS(BJ)
B233906.66-035605.1 at 284 million light years and the eastern galaxy is
MRK 0933, a compact galaxy at 285 million light years.

The face on spiral at the top of the image is APMUKS(BJ)
B233913.30-034624.3 at 298 million light years. The apparent edge on
blue galaxy to its east (left) is APMUKS(BJ) B233934.16-034639.4 at 296
million light years. While the elliptical southwest of the face on
spiral and northwest of IC 1505 is 2MASX J23412885-0331266 at 288
million light years.

The face on spiral nearly due west (right) of the lower component of Arp
295 is 2MASX J23411291-0337538 at 295 million light years. Not all
galaxies in the image are members of the group. At the top of the image
directly above the near edge on blue galaxy APMUKS(BJ)
B233934.16-034639.4 is 2MASX J23420657-0328278 at 1.5 billion light
years. To its east (left) just above my image but coming into it as a
fuzzy halo is 2MASX J23422688-0327555 at 620 million light years.

There are 4 asteroids in the image. The faintest is closest to Arp 295
about half way between the northern component and IC 1505. It is
(186080) 2001 SO230 at magnitude 19.2. Above it and slightly left is
the brightest asteroid, 220052) 2002 RY101 at 18.0. Above IC 1505 and
level with the face on spiral near the top of the image is 2002 TD17 at
magnitude 18.7. These last two are moving only in right ascension which
is rare. The final asteroid slightly below center near the right edge.
It is (136974) 1998 RO50 at magnitude 18.2. The reason the asteroids
are sending a sloppy "A" in International Morris Code is that I took 6
frames but the second was lost to clouds. That created a gap in the
trail but shows they were in retrograde motion moving west in the sky at
the time I took the image. The "dot" is fainter than the rest of the
trail as that image was partly lost to clouds as well. One advantage to
not needing to guide is that you don't loose the target when clouds hit.
It just picks up where you left off without me doing anything. In
fact I was probably sound asleep when it happened.

The night was very hazy with lots of gunk over the lake that I was
imaging through. This created nasty halos about many stars. Seeing
this when I started I set the system for 6 rather than my normal 4
Lumanosity and 4 rather than my normal 2 for color data but clouds wiped
out one L and the last two red and first two green images. I really
need to redo this one this fall under better skies.

This field is out of the Sloan survey area but I did find a shot of this
group taken by the one meter scope at the Naval Observatory in
Flagstaff. Note they put the distance at 250 million light years. I
don't know how this was determined.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap051008.html

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp295.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x10' RG=2x10'x3 B=4x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP295L5X10RG2X10X3B4X10X3r2.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	3022  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP295L5X10RG2X10X3B4X10X3r2-CROP150.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	3023
Old July 11th 10, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Impressive!

Old July 12th 10, 03:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Are you sure that isn't a frog with a sticky tongue?

that's so cool it defies words!

. com...

Old July 12th 10, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

If that's his tongue what is it that's coming out the other end? I
don't think I want to know.

Makes you wonder that if we were orbiting a sun in that tidal plume, how
would that have changed our astronomical heritage? We'd see a very
different sky that is for sure.

Rick

On 7/12/2010 9:38 AM, Richard Crisp wrote:
Are you sure that isn't a frog with a sticky tongue?

that's so cool it defies words!

. com...

Old July 21st 10, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Wow, that's what I call a tidal tail. I wonder if the straightness of the
tail is caused by our angle of view or if it is real...

Stefan

. com...

Old July 22nd 10, 02:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Good question. I'm going with real as the chance of such an alignment
to make a curved plume so straight seems rather small. Back in the 80's
I used a big computer (weaker than my laptop today) to model some galaxy
collisions. I found it quite possible to get straight plumes connecting
the galaxies if the speed was high enough they paths weren't altered
significantly. If they would eventually merge then the plumes were less
well defined and curved. Often highly curved.

I should find that code and redo it as today I could include more
parameters that might change the result.

Rick

On 7/21/2010 5:04 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Wow, that's what I call a tidal tail. I wonder if the straightness of the
tail is caused by our angle of view or if it is real...

Stefan

. com...

Old July 22nd 10, 04:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in news:7aK1o.227054$_F1.71925
@hurricane:

Wow, that's what I call a tidal tail. I wonder if the straightness of the
tail is caused by our angle of view or if it is real...

Anyone living in that tail must have pretty boring skies. Poor folks.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?