ASTRO: Between IC1318 and NGC 6888

Old June 30th 10, 10:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Between IC1318 and NGC 6888

I imaged this area of sky in two nights between June 11 and June 13 when it
was too windy to use a large scope. The were even gale warnings for the
first night.
Guiding was done with a finder-scope plus Lodestar-guider. There was some
guidescope shift that limited exposure times to 5 minutes.
There is no "gripping" name for this area in Guide8, which explains the
"about" line above. IC 1318 (around Gamma Cygni) is just outside the image
on the upper left, NGC 6888 is just outside on the lower right.
I took 44x5 minutes of Halpha, 6x5 minutes OIII and five minutes each for
green and blue. I skipped the OIII data because there wasn't anything
interesting to see and combined the other data to a Ha:Ha:G:B.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Skywatcher ED80 plus Skywatcher 0.85
Reducer (510mm focal lenghts) on a Skywatcher H-EQ5 Synscan mount, Atik 383
camera, Baader filters in a SXPress filter wheel.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp4/Zw6888...ursmallgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw6888uIC1318coloursmallgut.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	2995
Old July 1st 10, 06:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 6/30/2010 4:36 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
[...]

Nice wide field image. I need 30 minute subs with Ha. I'd get nothing
much with 5 minute ones. My camera isn't very red sensitive however.

I initially missed "around" and was trying to find those two in the
image. Not reading had me lost in space. I finally recognized the area
of VDB 130 an object on my to-do list. It's listed as a reflection
nebula but there's so much Ha in the region I've never seen it but
orange or if Ha data used, red as in your image. I want to try a pure
LRGB or maybe even RGB to see what color I get.

I do need a wide field scope for summer imaging.

I assume you don't ever get out of astronomical twilight this time of
the year so even if you had no man made light pollution the sky would
still not be dark. I get only enough time for a partial image a night
-- if the clouds ever go away that is. At least these are giving much
needed rain though farmers getting hailed out probably would have
preferred clouds only. Spent much of the last week cleaning up downed
trees from days of winds holding pretty steady at 50 mph (80 kph) with
gusts much higher. My back is killing me. Still have one widow maker
to get down

Old July 1st 10, 04:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Stefan -

Always impressed with your ability to produce such great images from
the center of a major city.

I played around with the Rho Ophiucus region in May/June but with only
a 70 minute window and the Sacrmento light dome dictating 3 minute
subs it was not a successful attempt.

Keep up the good work.

Old July 1st 10, 04:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Rick -

VdB 130, the Van de Berg catalog list VdB 130 as red in color, my
image of VdB 130 shows it as red/orange and not separated distinctly
from the surrounding HII region. Not the usual VdB object.

Old July 1st 10, 07:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

we don't reach astronomical twilight for about two month in summer. Halpha
however is quite good even in twilight, I can get about three hours of
useful Halpha data in one night. It sure helps that I have the rather narrow
(7nm) Baader Halpha filter now (my old Astronomik filter had 13nm).
Still I have been doing two nights each on some bright planetary nebulae
recently (we currently have a lot of clear nights, at the cost of extreme
heat and no rain for several weeks now- there are rumours that the northeast
of Germany will turn into a desert in the foreseeable future...)
With no real colour channels (only five minutes green and blue for star
colour) I missed the reflection part of vdB 130, so I couldn't assign this
name to the image.

Stefan

. com...

Old July 1st 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Thanks Glen.
Narrow band sure is the thing to do under light polluted sky. At least if it
weren't galaxies I like so much...

Stefan