ASTRO: Arp 59

Old June 16th 10, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 59

Arp 59 falls under Arp's classification: Spiral Galaxies with Companions
on Arms: Small high surface brightness companions. It is located just
under 200 million light years away and is found in the constellation of
Cetus. This appears to be a system similar to M51 but with more
confused spiral arms. Arp had no comment about this pair.

The main galaxy is NGC 341, the companion MCG -02-03-064. The little
galaxy at the 5 O'clock position is SDSS J010044.49-091151.8. I doubt
it is related. I can't tell which arm, north or south, the companion is
on. In Arp's photo (south up) the south arm seems to lead to the
companion while the north one seems to end at a star to he lower left.
In my photo things look just the reverse. The southern arm seems to
just suddenly end at the north end of the galaxy or maybe continue and
be the blue spike sticking out at the NE While the north arm makes more
than a 360 to end in at the companion. Usually Arp's and my images look
much alike but not in this case. It appears it was a night of very poor
seeing atop Palomar mountain when Arp took his image. That may explain
the differences. The Sloan image doesn't help much that I see.
Obviously the encounter has messed up the arms of NGC 341. NED classes
it as SAB(r)bc.

As in my image of Arp 19 there appears to be a galaxy cluster just to
the east of the galaxy. Though none is shown in NED at that location or
any other location within this image. See the enlarged cropped image to
see the really faint galaxies in this grouping. I see a few smaller
groupings of faint galaxies throughout the image. While the SDSS has
apparently cataloged them (I didn't begin to check them all) no red
shift distances are provided.

As I've come to expect the SDSS omits blue, low surface brightness
galaxies. Is there something about their recognition algorithm that
misses them? Or is it a NED selection effect? Maybe its something else.
In any case the very blue smudge NW of Arp 59 isn't in the over 2000
SDSS galaxies in this image. But it did get picked up by the UK
Automated Plate Survey as APMUKS(BJ) B005807.36-092427.4. Is it
involved with Arp 59? It's blue color would indicate lots of newly
formed massive stars often caused by such interaction. Yet no one seems
to have paid it any attention.

This isn't the only somewhat blue galaxy missed by the SDSS and or NED.
There's APMUKS(BJ) B005908.94-092242.1 near the left edge above
center. It is just below a larger galaxy on the annotated image at 0.71
billion light years. There may be more, I didn't search very hard to
find these two. NED picks up 24th magnitude galaxies from the SDSS and
misses these 18th magnitude ones.

On the other hand the very blue sliver of a galaxy in the southeast
corner of my image is SDSS J010143.56-091900.7 with a red shift almost
identical to that of Arp 59. Could it have tangled with Arp 59 in the
past thus causing its new massive stars?

Also on the right edge above center is a very faint blue galaxy SDSS did
pick up at 250 million light years. This galaxy, like Arp 59 appears to
have a galaxy cluster to its east that is obviously far beyond it. None
have red shift data. Another, somewhat larger, blue galaxy at 250
million light years is found southeast of Arp 59. Are these two related?

The asteroid toward the northeast corner is (123186) 2000 UB9 at
magnitude 17.9.

Sloan image:
http://astronomerica.awardspace.com/SDSS-15/NGC341.php

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp59.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP59L4X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	2979  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP59L4X10RGB2X10X3R-ID.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	2980  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP59L4X10RGB2X10X3R-crop150.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2981
Old June 16th 10, 05:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

In the abstract of

"Spectroscopic properties of M 51 type galaxies"

Gunthardt, et.al. 2006, noted "In NGC 341 the starburst is seen only
in the satellite galaxy."

Old June 30th 10, 09:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Wow, what a beauty. A pity that it is at almost -10 degrees. Otherwise I
certainly would try it myself.

Stefan

. com...