ASTRO: IC 5332 (galaxy in Sculptor)

Old June 1st 10, 10:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: IC 5332 (galaxy in Sculptor)

This is a "leftover" from my astro holidays in Namibia last September. This
night I decided to get a bit of sleep while the imaging was running, but the
thing that was running most was the focus. When I returned to the scope I
found that the focus had shifted a lot. To get something useful I had to use
LR-deconvolution and additionally resample the image to 74%.

Taken from "Kiripotib" farm in Namibia, Meade 10" ACF at f/7.2 on Vixen New
Atlux Mount, SXV-H9 camera, 10x10 Minutes for Lum, 15 minutes each for RGB.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/IC5332coloursmallgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC5332coloursmallgut.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2960
Old June 2nd 10, 05:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

looks like you captured a group of galaxies and also numerous
globulars associated with IC 5332.

Some interesting structure in the arms at bottom center.

Old June 2nd 10, 07:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 6/1/2010 4:45 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
This is a "leftover" from my astro holidays in Namibia last September. This
night I decided to get a bit of sleep while the imaging was running, but the
thing that was running most was the focus. When I returned to the scope I
found that the focus had shifted a lot. To get something useful I had to use
LR-deconvolution and additionally resample the image to 74%.

Taken from "Kiripotib" farm in Namibia, Meade 10" ACF at f/7.2 on Vixen New
Atlux Mount, SXV-H9 camera, 10x10 Minutes for Lum, 15 minutes each for RGB.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/IC5332coloursmallgut.jpg

Stefan

I have to read better. I was wondering how I missed putting this one on
my list. So went to look it up and saw the -35 declination. Amazing
from Berlin. Then I reread the text!

You did a good job of salvaging it. If you'd not said anything I'd not
known. I do find that galaxy to the northeast very weird! Sure wish it
was where I could get to it.

I've forgotten to turn on my temperature compensation. When that
happens the center usually holds but the corners, especially one, go bad
really fast. I can really screw up collimation then that corner is not
a problem but none of the image is very good. Think it due to only
being able to tilt the secondary. That tilts the field a bit causing
the problem. If I could move the primary a tad think it would be fixed
but no can tilt it. So I live with it.

Rick