ASTRO: NGC 5496

Old April 30th 10, 04:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: NGC 5496

A low surface brightness galaxy imaged through the Sacramento light
dome. I could not find any scientfic papers on this galaxy.

The green channel was synthesized from the red/blue channels. The
Astrodon-I green filter is not a good match for the scope/camera
generating a large reflection in the Mewlon.

NGC 5496
Virgo
Penryn, California
May 2009
M 250 @ f 9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME LRGB 10 minute subs

NGC 5496 is classified as SBcd, surface brightness is 14.6, distance
is 82 Mly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc 5496-lrgsb-m09.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2917
Old April 30th 10, 06:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 4/30/2010 10:26 AM, Glen Youman wrote:
A low surface brightness galaxy imaged through the Sacramento light
dome. I could not find any scientfic papers on this galaxy.

The green channel was synthesized from the red/blue channels. The
Astrodon-I green filter is not a good match for the scope/camera
generating a large reflection in the Mewlon.

NGC 5496
Virgo
Penryn, California
May 2009
M 250 @ f 9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME LRGB 10 minute subs

NGC 5496 is classified as SBcd, surface brightness is 14.6, distance
is 82 Mly.

I like this one. I've never been able to make pseudo green work for me.
I have several shots with poor green data and tried that but I still
got better results using the bad green. Your results look good.

My used camera came with Astrodon 1 series I filters that are very close
to 1:1:1 at the zenith. I need to compensate as I get lower in the sky
but they easily work with the same exposure time. But they have bad
reflections in Blue and pretty bad ones in green but not to the extent
as blue. So I was surprised by your green being the problem filter. A
friend here with a ST-10 so very different response curve uses old CSI
filters. I tried those with the same result. Blue and green
reflections were even worse. Even with the shorter exposure times I
needed for them to compensate for red. Today's filters are far better
coated. Baader's are supposed to be well matched to the interline chips
so am thinking of blowing the budget to see if they have less reflection
issues. Everyone tells me they are far better than the old Astrodon's I
now have and are cheaper than new Astrodons. I'm getting tired of large
blue halos around bricht K and M stars. They are a pain.

Rick

Old April 30th 10, 07:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Hi Rick -

I ordered the Astrondon filters and received the set with the green
missing, the company I ordered from had Astrodon contact me directly
(they're located about 20 miles away) and after collecting serial
numbers and what not, they shipped me a green filter. One wonders if
the green filter was from a different batch).

I use Noel Carboni's photoshop actions to generate the green channel.
I find it works quite well. I tried sky flats for the green channel
to no avail.

On a different subject - I located my NGC 4395 data. Looking at the
raw data there is not any dust motes, etc in the area of the object in
question and a stretch of the raw data does show something there.
(9 hours of luminance data was collected over a 4 night period)

Going back to the list of objects plotted in SIMBAD for NGC 4395 there
is an object WR468 listed as PoG (part of galaxy) at the approximate
coordinates (Disclaimer - I don't have TS6 on my home computer so
don't have a means of doing accurate measurements - forecast is for a
clear sky tonight so will play around with the data on the observatory
computers and see if I can get an accurate plot)

4395 is not in a favorable position for imaging (It's close to the
zenith and will soon be behind a "heritage Oak" which is protected by
both law and my wife. Next spring I'll put the ST-10XME on the FS-128
and reshoot 4395

Old April 30th 10, 08:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Neither SIMBAD or NED show anything at the position of your mystery
object. WR 468 is a good 5 minutes from that area. Use SIMBAD's Aladin
to find it on the DSS plates. Just go to the object in SIMBAD
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/si...04699631&Name=[BKD2008]%20WR%20468&submit=submit
Then click on the Aladin applet. It will load the POSS 1 red plate and
center on the object. Many others will be shown as well. If you load
the NED database even more will show.

Rick