ASTRO: NGC 5987 linear dust.

Old March 24th 10, 06:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 5987 linear dust.

Besides Arp galaxies on my to-do list I have a bunch I call Arp wanna-be
galaxies. They didn't make his list but could have. Sometimes they fit
his categories, sometimes they need one of their own or fit his rather
small miscellaneous class. This is one of the latter in my opinion.

NGC 5987 has a rather odd system of dust lanes. There's that nearly
straight on that runs across the bottom much like a similar one in M63.
M63's lane leads to a dwarf galaxy west of the main part of M63 though
real deep images show the galaxy going as far as the little dwarf. The
dust lane might have been caused by the dwarf. In the case of NGC 5987
there's no related dwarf that I can find. There's another linear dust
lane that joins the long one and appears to head to the back side of the
core. One linear lane is hard enough to explain, a second that joins it
seems a real mystery. Yet I find nothing about this in the literature.

NGC 5987 is classed as an Sb spiral by NED and the NGC project. It is
about 140 million light-years distant in the constellation of Draco.

As usual there are many distant background galaxies. I've prepared an
annotated image showing the Quasars (Q) and Galaxies (G) and their
distance in billions of light-years. I have no idea why some galaxies
have this data and others don't. Even more of a mystery are two spindle
galaxies, both oriented north and south near the eastern edge. They are
on opposite sides of a distant, faint, spherical galaxy at 4.4 billion
light years. Yet these two much brighter galaxies not only don't have
any red shift data, I couldn't find them in any catalog at NED or
SIMBAD! I've identified them with a question mark. Besides the
annotated image there's a 1.5x enlarged cropped immage to better show
the dust lanes.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RGB=3x10x3', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5987L6X10RGB3X10X3.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	2865  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5987L6X10RGB3X10X3_ID.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	2866  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5987L6X10RGB3X10X3-CROP150.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	2867

Old March 24th 10, 09:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Milton Aupperle

In article , Rick
Johnson wrote:

[...]

Hi Rick;

Very nice image. Thanks for sharing all your great images and detailed
descriptions of them.

The number of background galaxies and objects continues to amaze me as
one goes deeper. I was doing some local DSO images of M53 and M67 this
month (finishing off a night and then waiting for the sky to get "dark"
the next night ) noticed a few faint fuzzzies in the background that
turned out to be known distant galaxies. However I found one or two
faint galaxies (well they have a core with limbs og about 5 pixel
length ) on the edge of M67 that doesn't appear to be listed in any of
the galaxy databases on line for that area. I intended to go back and
image a lot deeper but the weather hasn't cooperated.

TTYL..

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html
Old March 25th 10, 02:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Milton Aupperle wrote:
In article , Rick
Johnson wrote:

[...]

Since there are a zillion galaxies in NED around M67 I can't tell which
ones you were seeing. Do a plate solve on your image then enter the
coordinates into NED. The two brightest I saw in a quick scan of many
hundred that NED returned are 2MASX J08504947+1142260 at mag 16.4 to
the southwest and 2MASX J08504525+1148390 at mag 15.8 due west a bit
over 400 million light years distant. Then there's much fainter mag
20.4 [HB89] 0848+120, a quasar at over 11 billion light years. HB89]
0849+120 is slightly fainter and closer at just under 10 billion light
years.

Rick

Old March 29th 10, 08:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

very good detail in the two dust lanes.
I am quite sure that I have imaged this galaxy, but certainly not as good as
this image.

Stefan

. com...