ASTRO: Taken from the club site at Curby, Indiana

Old February 17th 10, 08:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

Default ASTRO: Taken from the club site at Curby, Indiana

This is a stack of 8 images taken from our club's (Louisville Astronomical
Society) dark skies site in Curby, Indiana, on January 14, 2010. There was
about 6 inches of snow on the ground that night, and other club members
onsite using the observatory. So I set up my scope in the adjacent open
field. Unfortunately, I had left my battery pack back home, and so ran the
mount off my car battery (rule #1: don't run the mount off the car battery).
I managed to get 8 useful images of M-42 (which was not actually the target
I had in mind for that night). Unfortunately, after I took this series of
images, my car battery went dead. Fortunately, I was able to get a jump
start.

M-42
8x2 images stacked and processed using deep sky stacker and Photoshop CS3
Equipment: Hutech Canon T1i DSLR mounted on a 200 mm f5 Konus Newtonian
with a Baader Coma corrector
Seeing was good.

I've been dying to get back out there but the weather has really sucked here
for over a month.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m42.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	2823
Old February 24th 10, 09:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

George,

nice result for 8x2 minutes.
When I run my power inverter from the car battery I sometimes manage to blow
the fuse in the cigarette lighter, so I always have a supply at hand. The
cold weather is really hard on batteries...

Stefan