Well, it took forever... but

Old February 16th 10, 03:23 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Well, it took forever... but

They are going to film Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" and do it in
3D to boot:
http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=9327
Although I've always wanted to see this filmed, is 3D really that
necessary for it?
You do "The Mote In God's Eye" in 3D and you'd be doing a 3D masterpiece.
The heart stops at thinking about "Starship Troopers" in 3D.
That could be the most kick-ass thing you've ever imagined in 3D.

Pat
Old February 17th 10, 12:03 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_816_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
They are going to film Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" and do it
in 3D to boot:
http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=9327
Although I've always wanted to see this filmed, is 3D really that
necessary for it?
You do "The Mote In God's Eye" in 3D and you'd be doing a 3D
masterpiece. The heart stops at thinking about "Starship Troopers" in
3D. That could be the most kick-ass thing you've ever imagined in 3D.

I'd love it if they did a version of Starship Troopers based on the book.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old February 17th 10, 01:50 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

I see only reason for trepidation and fear ahead.

From the link:

1. It's quickly becoming a necessity these days for all big budget, SFX-heavy
films to be in 3D.

Strike one.

2. 2012 director Roland Emmerich discusses his plans ...

Strike two.

3. Emmerich tells MTV: "It has to be done all CG because I would not know how
to shoot this thing in real."

Strike three.

And let's not forget how well Hollywood treats the classics whose authors are
long gone and cannot defend their legacy.

Dave
Old February 17th 10, 04:46 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Lesher

David Spain writes:

And let's not forget how well Hollywood treats the classics whose authors are
long gone and cannot defend their legacy.

Or ARE there.... cough... The Starlost.....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 17th 10, 04:55 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
And let's not forget how well Hollywood treats the classics whose authors are
long gone and cannot defend their legacy.

Okay, maybe making Arkady Darrel a transsexual and giving The Mule
actual mule ears didn't go over well with purists, but today's audiences
demand their movies have an edge...and the destruction of Trantor by The
Great Space Squid is really something to see. ;-)
Seriously, there's not a hell of a lot of edge-of-your-seat action in
the books, which makes the choice of 3D seem odd in my opinion.
Dune may also be filmed in 3D in the futu
http://scifiwire.com/2010/02/new-dun...could-be-m.php
But that does have a lot of action in it, and the Sandworms would be fun
to see in 3D.

Pat
Old February 17th 10, 07:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

David Lesher wrote:

And let's not forget how well Hollywood treats the classics whose authors are
long gone and cannot defend their legacy.

Or ARE there.... cough... The Starlost.....

Ellison brings complaining to a art form.
Now, the Mule's army of killer robots was a thing that the Foundation
movies really needed, and I imagine Asimov would be asking himself "Why
didn't I think of that?" if he were still alive. ;-)

Pat
Old February 17th 10, 12:41 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 17/02/2010 11:50 AM, David Spain wrote:
I see only reason for trepidation and fear ahead.

From the link:

1. It's quickly becoming a necessity these days for all big budget, SFX-heavy
films to be in 3D.

Strike one.

2. 2012 director Roland Emmerich discusses his plans ...

Strike two.

3. Emmerich tells MTV: "It has to be done all CG because I would not know how
to shoot this thing in real."

That's worrying. Foundation could almost be done in a live theatre.
Perhaps he's going to focus on the scarely mentioned techology, and
leave out all the 'dull' talk - i.e. almost all of it the story.

Sylvia.

Old February 17th 10, 12:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 17/02/2010 10:03 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:
They are going to film Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" and do it
in 3D to boot:
http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=9327
Although I've always wanted to see this filmed, is 3D really that
necessary for it?
You do "The Mote In God's Eye" in 3D and you'd be doing a 3D
masterpiece.

Now that I'd pay to see.

Sylvia.
Old February 17th 10, 11:11 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Sylvia Else wrote:

That's worrying. Foundation could almost be done in a live theatre.
Perhaps he's going to focus on the scarely mentioned techology, and
leave out all the 'dull' talk - i.e. almost all of it the story.

That's just what I thought; it's a really strange choice for a 3D movie.
Anything that has some sort of battles in it would be far more suitable
for 3D, and Starship Troopers would be ideal for a 3D movie.
Though it won't be in 3D, the upcoming John Carter Of Mars movie should
be a ball to watch in 2012, and would have made an ideal subject for a
3D movie, as would Flash Gordon (done seriously this time) for that matter.
I can't wait to see what Tars Tarkas and Woola look like, and wonder if
they will incorporate the low Martian gravity into the movie.

Pat
Old February 17th 10, 11:22 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Sylvia Else wrote:
You do "The Mote In God's Eye" in 3D and you'd be doing a 3D
masterpiece.

Now that I'd pay to see.

Those Watchmaker Moties would scare the hell out of people...sort of the
anti-Ewoks.
Ringworld would be interesting also.

Pat