Question regarding a specific HIP object found on Stellarium. - HIP 17892.jpg (0/1)

Old January 31st 10, 12:40 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Question regarding a specific HIP object found on Stellarium. - HIP 17892.jpg (0/1)

I recently installed Stellarium and am having a blast exploring the un
iverse.
I recently found a HIP object that has a unusual grouping of stars
near it. The star in question is HIP 17892. I am attaching a screen
grab of it.
Does anyone know anything about the line of red stars on either side
of it?
TIA
Old January 31st 10, 12:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

wrote:
I recently installed Stellarium and am having a blast exploring the un
iverse.
I recently found a HIP object that has a unusual grouping of stars
near it. The star in question is HIP 17892. I am attaching a screen
grab of it.
Does anyone know anything about the line of red stars on either side
of it?
TIA

Hi

Please don't post images to this non-binary newsgroup. I'm not sure what
you tried to put in another message, but it came out as mostly encoded
gibberish with a few words embedded.

I see that you have successfully posted it to
alt.binaries.pictures.astronomy. That's great! Just tell us to look for
your image in that newsgroup.

Alternatively, put it on a web page or picture site such as flickr with
public access. Some people do not have access to binary usenet groups
because of restrictions by their ISP.

It is interesting, for sure. This star is in an open cluster.

As to what the line of stars is, these are some sort of Stellarium artifacts
which I cannot explain. A check of the Palomar Sky Survey images from the
Simbad Aladin previewer shows nothing at all there. (And, some real stars
are missing from the Stellarium plot.) As the mystery objects are in a
straight line, maybe they are some sort of results for past and future
proper motion (unlikely, the pm is very small) or precession of the object,
but that's purely a wild guess.

To do this kind of check yourself, go to Simbad
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/, choose the way you want to search (by
identifier), then when you have the star listed, click on the Aladin
Previewer icon. This is a superb tool and once you get an image up you can
look at various sky surveys, produce a colour image from red and blue
plates, etc.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old January 31st 10, 04:31 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

D'OH!
Just not thinking lately. The gibberish is the jpeg. Won't be doing
that again.
I found another HIP with the same sort of anomoly. I was starting to
think it was like you said but something to do with the Hipparcos
satellite.Though I suppose Stellarium still has its inacuracies.
Thanks for the reply.
-D'oh

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:14:07 -0000, "Mike Dworetsky"