ASTRO: Sharpless 2-132

Old January 23rd 10, 12:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Sharpless 2-132

In August I tested the William Optics Type II 0.8 reducer/flattener with my
Skyatcher ED120 scope. It was not as good as the dedicated Skywatcher
reducer, but still quite respectable. I probably could have done better by
spending even more time to find the correct distance between reducer/chip,
but after tinkering a few hours I wanted to do something "useful" at last,
especially as conditions were really good (SQM-L sky brightness near zenith
was mag. 18.85 with good transparency).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Skywatcher ED120 plus William Type II
reducer on a G11 mount, QHY 8 camera with Astronomik UHC, 12x20 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/Sh2-132-12x20-50gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sh2-132-12x20-50gut.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	2801
Old January 23rd 10, 07:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
In August I tested the William Optics Type II 0.8 reducer/flattener with my
Skyatcher ED120 scope. It was not as good as the dedicated Skywatcher
reducer, but still quite respectable. I probably could have done better by
spending even more time to find the correct distance between reducer/chip,
but after tinkering a few hours I wanted to do something "useful" at last,
especially as conditions were really good (SQM-L sky brightness near zenith
was mag. 18.85 with good transparency).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Skywatcher ED120 plus William Type II
reducer on a G11 mount, QHY 8 camera with Astronomik UHC, 12x20 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/Sh2-132-12x20-50gut.jpg

Stefan

I take it you took this before the moon was in the way. Stars look fine
to me. Flattener seems to be working well. You got a lot more
nebulosity than I'd have expected for your location. This isn't an easy
object even from dark skies without h-alpha. 4 hours of time helps a lot.

Rick

Old January 23rd 10, 09:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

the image was taken on August 19 without any moon. My notes say "good
transparency, SQM-L 18.85", so it was a very good night (on a "standard"
good night I get a sky brightness of about 18.7 near zenith with the SQM-L).
I did some comparisons recently, the Astronomik UHC lets only about 1/13th
of the sky background pass (measured on different nights, so probably not
too accurate), I don't think I would have gotten anything usable without the
filter.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
m...

Old January 24th 10, 03:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

The filter seems to do a good job on emission nebula. Any luck on
reflection? Star colors seem rather good as well.

I've never broke down and bought one of those meters. Since my sky is
pretty predictable it would be used only a few times so rather expensive
per measurement. None around here are interested in one either. So
can't even borrow or rent one. Guess my background ADU is my meter.

Rick