ASTRO: Arp 176

Old January 10th 10, 03:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 176

Arp 176 is a pair of interacting galaxies also known as NGC 4933 though
this designation includes a third non interacting galaxy. The IC
catalog lists the to interacting galaxies separately as IC 4173 and IC
4176 west to east (right to left). They are located about 160 million
light-years away in the constellation of Virgo. Arp put these in his
category: Galaxies (not classifiable as S or E): Narrow counter tails.
His comment on the pair is simply: "Companion galaxy [IC 4173] very
condensed." Most notes seem to consider the streamer as coming from IC
4173. I'm not that convinced. Tearing out a tidal arm from such a
tight E0 galaxy isn't easy. Tearing one from the far less dense IC 4176
seems to me far more likely.

Most sources class the main galaxy as S0/a. The dust lane I picked up
seems to cross the galaxy at a very odd angle. My seeing was awful the
night I took this both because it is low in my sky and due to a nasty
haze layer that moved in mid exposure. It really ruined my color data.
I tried to salvage it as best I could but the red data was very weak
and the green noticeably weakened. I took the blue first before the
haze was bad. As a result, getting a good color balance was impossible.
I need to reshoot this one next year under better conditions.

The third non interacting galaxy is MCG -02-33-103. It shows a similar
red shift as the other two but is apparently far enough removed from the
other two it isn't involved in the interaction. To the east of Arp 179
is the barred spiral MCG -02-33-105. It is incorrectly identified as IC
4134 in the Kanipe-Webb book on Arp galaxies*. I find no red shift data
on it so can't say if it is part of the NGC 4933 group or not. Note
that in researching the group I found no consistency in which member was
A and which B. It was about a coin flip which a paper would consider to
be A. All agreed the tiny eastern galaxy was C. Thus I went with the
IC and MCG designations.

Below Arp 176 is a blue edge on or SO galaxy. The excess blue my be due
to haze blocking red and the strong red glare from the nearby G5 star
which is obviously too blue. Getting rid of its red haze skewed color
beyond my ability to rebalance it in this part of the image. It is LCRS
B130109.0-112106 at about 270 million light-years. The round puff of a
galaxy near the G5 star is LCRS B130102.8-111941 of unknown red shift.
West of Arp 179 is NPM1G -11.0360, a strong IR emitting galaxy of
unknown red shift. Further west near the right edge is 2MASX
J13025195-1129599.

*While some sources do show this galaxy as IC 4134 the NGC project and
NED has identified it as being NGC 4920 which is just out of my field of
view. See the NGC Project for the details. Click on the data button for
NGC 4920. http://www.ngcicproject.org/dss/dss_n4900.asp

Arp's photo showing several dust lanes I lost to my seeing is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp176.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' R=1x10 GB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails