ASTRO: NGC 4438/4435

Old December 19th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 4438/4435

This is from April 2009 when I was imaging in a deer park south of Berlin
surrounded by wolves, tigers and goats (and some other astro imagers ;-)
Seeing was bad that night, so I gave up imaging this low galaxy pair after
7x5 minutes. As I don't have any other attempts at these galaxies I finally
decided to do some quick processing of this short series. Two iterations of
Lucy-Richardson deconvolution and resizing to 74% makes stars look better
than the balloons they originally were.

Taken with a 10" Meade ACF at f/7.8, G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 7x5 minutes.

The image can be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/4438-7x5-074gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4438-7x5-074gut.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2746
Old December 19th 09, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
This is from April 2009 when I was imaging in a deer park south of Berlin
surrounded by wolves, tigers and goats (and some other astro imagers ;-)
Seeing was bad that night, so I gave up imaging this low galaxy pair after
7x5 minutes. As I don't have any other attempts at these galaxies I finally
decided to do some quick processing of this short series. Two iterations of
Lucy-Richardson deconvolution and resizing to 74% makes stars look better
than the balloons they originally were.

Taken with a 10" Meade ACF at f/7.8, G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 7x5 minutes.

The image can be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/4438-7x5-074gut.jpg

Stefan

I'm always surrounded by bear, wolves, coyotes and deer when imaging.
Though the one that almost got me once was a beaver. I heard him
chomping on a tree but wasn't paying much attention as I was working on
my Herschel 400 list. Suddenly I was aware of a huge big tooth aspen
falling toward me. I took off running but only the fine upper branches
hit the scope doing no damage. His aim was dead on, just the tree was
about 10 feet too short to do any damage. My neighbor's finest sheets
were on a line connected to that tree. Her husband wanted to shoot the
excess beaver for some time but she wouldn't stand for it. But after
her finest sheets turned religious (very holy - er holey) he was out on
the dock the next night thinning the population. Don't know if one he
nailed was the guilty one. Interesting fact I learned that night. Shoot
a beaver and it sinks slowly to the bottom but its gut creates gas so
fast a few minutes later it bobs back to the surface.

Rick

Old December 19th 09, 09:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

looks like you had the chance to go down in history as the first man to be
slain by a beaver while watching the stars ;-) But I am glad that you missed
this historic feat ;-)

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. com...

Old December 19th 09, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

A few days later I tangled with a 4 point buck in rut. He didn't like
me in his territory and tried to run me through. Fortunately I was
wearing a heavy winter coat. He put a hole in that and I was sore for a
week but he failed to penetrate the coat's lining. It was an
interesting few minutes. I lost the rest of that new moon cycle as I
was too sore to lift the scope to set it up. How I got it back in the
shed that night I don't know. But at the time I didn't hurt as much as
I did the next few days. I still wear the coat when doing visual
observing some 25 years later. It was 25 years old at the time. I
can't part with any telescope or coat I own it seems.

Rick

Daily Rpt #4438 Bassford, Lynn Hubble 0 September 4th 07 06:43 PM
Daily Report #4435 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 28th 07 02:40 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] SETI 0 May 3rd 07 01:08 AM
ASTRO: NGC 4435 and 4438 The Eyes Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 4 May 2nd 07 03:03 AM
ASTRO: The Eyes NGC 4435 & 4438 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 January 2nd 07 07:02 PM