ASTRO: NGC 1672 from Namibia

Old October 24th 09, 08:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 1672 from Namibia

I have some more pictures from Kiripotib Farm in Namibia, this is the barred
spiral NGC 1672 in Doradus (a bit above the large magellanic cloud).

Taken from the Kalahari desert in Namibia with a Meade 10" ACF scope at
f/7.2 on Vixen New Atlux Mount, SXV-H9 camera, 8x10 Minutes for Lum, 1x15
minutes each for RGB.

The image can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/1672colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1672colourgut.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	2662
Old October 24th 09, 10:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
I have some more pictures from Kiripotib Farm in Namibia, this is the barred
spiral NGC 1672 in Doradus (a bit above the large magellanic cloud).

Taken from the Kalahari desert in Namibia with a Meade 10" ACF scope at
f/7.2 on Vixen New Atlux Mount, SXV-H9 camera, 8x10 Minutes for Lum, 1x15
minutes each for RGB.

The image can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/1672colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Don't think I've seen this one before. You did your research before
heading south. It is an odd one. Arms on one side bright but dim on
the other. Seem to lack the star formation of the other side. They are
likely rather equal otherwise. NED has lots of interesting notes on
this one.

At least you got some nice images before the clouds rolled in. 3 years
ago we went to Australia's outback expecting nice skies. Instead it
rained every day. They hadn't seen rain that time of the year for
decades. Something about a scope seems to attract clouds.

I fell for sucker holes last night. After two months it cleared and
seeing was the best ever, slightly under 2" but only in sucker holes. I
got Red and Green on one object (hazy so didn't do lum) then it ran into
clouds so I moved and got lum at 1.8" on a non Arp galaxy but then
clouds and drizzle moved in. I had to shut down fast. Woke up at dawn
to find it had cleared while I slept. I can set the cloud sensor to
alarm if it clears. Should have done that though the forecast was for
clouds by morning and they soon arrived. It's drizzling again as I type
this.

Rick