ASTRO: Arp 238

Old September 27th 09, 08:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 238

I can't top changing astronomical literature as my last Arp did so I'm
just continuing processing January 2009 images. With longer nights
coming I'm likely to lap myself if I don't speed up my processing.

Arp 283 consists of two interacting galaxies, NGC 2798 right and NGC
2799. Arp classed them under Group Character: Infall and attraction.
He adds this comment: "Arc of barely resolved knots curves into nucleus
of larger galaxy". It does appear the interaction has created huge
tidal plumes on NGC 2798 and has warped the disk of NGC 2799 into a sort
arc. Unfortunately the night I imaged this wasn't very good with below
average seeing and transparency so this image is well below what I'd
have liked. Still you can see a hint of the curve of NGC 2799's arc
toward NGC 2798. This could be just a perspective illusion.

NGC 2798 is classed as a SBa or SBb galaxy depending on who your read.
In any case it is classed as a barred spiral. Its core seems so
distorted I don't see much of a bar and the spiral arms seem to come
from nothing rather then end of a bar as you'd expect. Their beginning
ends are 180 degrees apart as you'd normally see with a barred spiral.
The interaction has obviously greatly altered the galaxy.

It shows no new stars but IR data shows massive star formation going on
hidden behind extensive dust. The core region contains most of this
star formation. The spiral arms are quite red, rather than blue. I
can't tell if this is real or scattered dust has absorbed much of the
bluer light letting only red through.

NGC 2799 is seen nearly edge on. Most sources consider it a SB galaxy,
that is a barred spiral but a few consider it as Sc. Considering it is
edge on and highly distorted this is an argument that I doubt can be
settled.

It appears that if NGC 2799 is in front of NGC 2798 that the dust lane
in NGC 2798 is really dust pulled off the end of NGC 2799. Otherwise it
is rather hard to explain I'd think.

The pair appear to be about 90 million light-years away.

Actually this is a three galaxy system. The spiral below them, UGC
4904, shows the same red shift as the two others. It too shows strong
signs of interaction. In fact it resembles M64 as being a "black eye"
type galaxy though in this case is more a "reddish brown eye" in my
image. The core also seems made up of several condensation with only a
rough indication of spiral structure. It too is classed as a barred
spiral though it appears too chaotic for me to see that structure. It
may show at other wavelengths however. In any case it appears all three
have interacted with each other.

On the far left a bit above center are two galaxies, the western being
fainter. It is 2MASX J09185002+4200433 an IR galaxy about 560 million
light years away. The other is 2MASX J09185523+4200133 also at about
560 million light-years.

Half way back west toward Arp 283 and below a bright orange star near a
brighter blue one is the small nearly vertical galaxy SDSS
J091808.53+420020.8 at 880 million light years. Continuing west and up
a bit past a white star is the somewhat larger appearing galaxy SDSS
J091756.39+420054.1 at the same distance so they form another pair.
Just below it and a bit left is the star-like galaxy SDSS
J091756.99+420039.3 but I have no red shift data on it.

Starting at the lower left corner move along the bottom, under a star
then pass over a much fainter one and you come to a small galaxy most of
which is in the frame with only its very south end cropped. This is
SDSS J091831.58+414533.0 at 1.3 billion light years. Up and to its
right is a somewhat larger redder and brighter galaxy. It is 2MASX
J09182805+4146242 at 1.8 billion light years. It obviously is a really
big galaxy to be magnitude 17.5 at that great distance.

There are other galaxies and quasars in the image. The above galaxies
and the other distant objects are shown in the annotated image with
their distance in billions of light years per NED using their 5 year
WMAP data.

My image has several very distant quasars so I've also attached an
annotated image point these out and the distances to some of the other
galaxies in the image.

This one is located in Lynx. Arp's image is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp283.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10/, RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP283L4X10RGB2X10X3R3.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	2633  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP283L4X10RGB2X10X3R3-ID.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2634
Old September 29th 09, 07:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

the "thin" galaxy looks really strange. What will you do when you have
finished all the Arp galaxies ;-?

Stefan

. com...

Old October 4th 09, 06:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

My todo list is growing faster than I can image even if the weather
would cooperate. I'm some 77 behind in processing what I have taken!
This one dates back to last January for instance. I'd like to do most
of the vdB catalog that fits my FOV, as well as the Sh2. Then there are
some nice LBN and LDN as well as Barnard dark nebula that will fit my
system. List is full of weird galaxies that Arp didn't include but that
fit his various categories. A ton of open clusters look interesting.
Abell planetaries and galaxy clusters, etc., etc., etc. Then I want to
add wide field which opens up a ton more. I figure if I can live to 200
I might finish the to-do list but by then technology will have made
everything so obsolete I'll just have to start over again. Maybe by
2400 I'll finally get to the end of the todo list.

Rick